100w Light Bulbs.

ROFLMAO!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

they haven't'. Bit more suppression in them but still the same resistors capacitor and triac..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh!, maybe I should read more of the posts? ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Keep an eye out for better offers. The 25W Costco ones worked out at £1.25 ea IIRC (until they ran out). I don't pay anything like £6 for regular ones, and if other people don't either, the regular price will come down.

I buy loads of CFLs for various offices, homes. The number of early failures I've had is completely insignificant. I can think of only 3. One IKEA one I bought over 8 years ago (but the other ones I bought at the same time still work, way past any expected lifetime), and a couple of Prolite ones I bought from CPC, which were probably just crap. On the whole, I do avoid the no-name and unheard-of brands though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

So time for multiple LEDS then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a glance at the tungsten bulbs in a B&Q Warehouse today. There were dozens of people looking around for 100W ones - unsuccessfully.

In fact they, at least here, haven't had any for months.

I bought a few 60W ones for my stockpile.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I will have to find one of those fancy bulbs then.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I thought triacs were outlawed because of power factor? I.E. non sinusoidal currents. Or do those regulations only apply to larger ones for PCs and the like?

Reply to
Fred

I bought a few more 100w bulbs this morning. They are still on sale here in France. The official end date is somewhere around June but the stores don't seem to be in a hurry to stop selling what people still want to buy.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Just to re-iterate why *I* bought this particular lamp - I wanted a PIR lamp for outdoor use that was bright and this lamp from TLC (link trimmed off my original post) fited the deal. I never read the bot about it's equivalance, it really wasn't relevant to me.

I only posted because some posts back someone said they couldn't get a CFL lamp with a PIR sensor - Well you can. The one I have in instant start, very bright and does what I need it to do.

I don't understand why people whinge on about equivalent wattage - just buy a lamp to fit the bill and be done with it.

I'm going to shutup now. I have 1.8 and 3W LED GU10 bulbs already, sure, they're not as bright as a 50W halogen, so put in 2! Wow - 6 watts rather than 50. Still a no-brainer...! I'll eventually replace every incandescant bulb in my house with CFL or LED. Screw the power companies, I'm not paying them any more than I need to.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Not good fun for me! Since last night every online lightbulb seller has read that story and hiked their prices!

Last night I priced up my order, but held off putting it through because I wasn't sure if the 60w bulb in the shed was a bayonet or a screw. I checked this evening, and went to order, and found that prices have gone from 22p to anywhere between 50p and £1.50 for a single 100W BC bulb.

Panic-buying bloody lightbulbs belongs in Soviet Russia in the fifties, not the UK in 2009.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Just be patient. Only the big sheds have a voluntary code to restrict the sales of 100W bulbs. They'll be standard mail order material in a month or

2 from all sorts of outlets.
Reply to
Fred

Do a search on ebay for:

WHOLESALE PALLET BULK JOB LOT BAYONET LIGHT BULBS

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

No, too many idiots didn't realise that global warming means that the world is getting warmer _on average_, and whenever they had a local cold spell they used it as an excuse to pretend the overall warming wasn't real.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

You can buy all the necessary in sheds, so there's nothing to actually stop you doing the work yourself. I think it probably all works out much as with gas in the UK: the effect is that unqualified/unregistered people cannot do electrical, plumbing or gas works for gain. We've had TV ads reminding people that any plumbing work over A$750 (£350) must have a Part-P style completion compliance certificate.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

However the average temps are going down not up, sort of makes a mess of the claims and the models they are based on.

Reply to
dennis

carbon redistribution?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are the 50 year old ones with resistance wire in mercury okay?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Trouble is, there's been no average warming for 10 years now, which is a bit of a bugger if you're trying to make people believe in global warming.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

True. But, if the average has not gone up, has the variability increased? It may well be that the average temperature/rainfall/wind strength/snow depth remains the same or even decreases, but if the UK were, for example, to end up having a climate like New England, with cold, snowy winters and warmer, drier summers, it could still be fairly disruptive. I'm not saying that is the case, but averages do conceal things.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened