100W LED equivalent?

Anyone able to suggest a source for the LED equivalent of a 'traditional' 100W bayonet lamp at a sensible price? Googling so far has produced some fairly expensive offerings...

Aldi (Müller-Licht) 13W 1055 lumen are the closest I've tried, instant on, not noticeably larger, dimmable, decent warm colour, price not horrendous, though perhaps not quite as bright as a trad. 100W incandescent, but according to this website

Those are only 880 lumen, so it may be subjective, worth a try if they happen to have them on the shelves ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks. I'm passing Aldi tomorrow so I'll call in and have a look.

On a related note, the 10W, 810 lumen bayonet lamps sold by Wilko seem to be a genuine replacement for a 60W tungsten. I'm sure others are selling the same item under their own brands.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

On 12/12/2014 17:13, F wrote:> Anyone able to suggest a source for the LED equivalent of a

I recently got some 13W LED bulbs from Ryness which while advertised as

75W equivalent, put out 1060 lumens, and seem to me to be about as bright as an incandescent 100 W bulb. I've only had them a few weeks but the fact that they go on at full brightness almost instantly is a bit bonus in our household. You can get them in bayonet or ES fittings at £11.99. There is some sort of guarantee but hedged about with conditions, and whether I'll still have the proof of purchase in a few years time is doubtful, but it gives you some hope that their failure rate is not too high. It's not quite what you want but nearly.

Clive Page

I got a bargain with an 8W lamp from Wilco.

Graham.

On 12 Dec 2014, F grunted:

I wonder how long after the demise of incandescent light bulbs that we will continue to talk about lamps in terms of 100W/60W etc equivalents?

Experience with the selling of fuel in litres but expressing its usage in miles per gallon suggests it will be a long time!

Reply to
Lobster

I don't know about other people, but I still have quite a few standard incandescent bulbs going in our house (mostly 40, 60, 100, or 150W) so it's very easy to make a direct comparison, with the light-meter option on a smartphone to check one's subjective feeling. I invested in quite a few spare incandescents just before they became semi-legal. What I regret is buying a few cheap CFLs as spares, as I'm probably never going to need them.

By the way, did anyone notice the BBC story on the "drone menace" to civil airliners a couple of days ago which, all in the same sentence, quoted the height limit in feet but the range limit in metres? So helpful.

Reply to
Clive Page

Thanks for the responses, but I've hit a problem. The lamp holder is supplied from a Timeguard ZV700 switch which, I've discovered, won't work with LED lamps. B*gger!

Also the way newspapers talk about "petrol now costs £X per gallon".

RObert

Reply to
RobertL

I suspect it something to do with the fact that metric fuel consumption is expressed in litres per hundred kilometer, so the numbers go "in the wrong direction" vs. mpg, and that kilometers are not much used here. I see nothing wrong with miles per litre, myself.

Reply to
Huge

My campervan shows l. per 100k. but my car shows either kilometers per litre when I'm in France or Spain OR when I'm in UK shows MPG

Reply to
JTM

The sooner the better since it allows makers to lie through their teeth - since there is no legal definition of the light output from say a 100 watt bulb. What I do know is I've never found any 'low energy' type that really does match or better the subjective light output from a normal GLS 100 watt tungsten, while claiming to be the equivalent. Smaller sizes may be better.

Other thing that p***es me off is the claimed life of these things. Especially given the high initial cost.

And it's not just CFLs and LEDs which offend here. Bought some halogen replacements for a table lamp. Claimed life was 2000 hours. All three lasted less than the ordinary tungsten used before. But cost about 3 times the price.

I do realise the initial cost may be a fraction of the overall costs including electricity used - but that doesn't give them cart blanche to lie about such things.

I suppose it's equally odd we still measure distance in miles. Probably because they aren't units used to measure things for sale.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 13/12/2014 15:21, Clive Page wrote: snipped

Those units are enshrined in the rules of the air - vertical position is expressed in feet whereas horizontal separation and visibility are expressed in metres.

Reply to
<no_spam

Why not use a standard incandescent bulb - they haven't vanished?

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Halogens, as I'm sure you know, don't like vibration particulary when hot. A table lamp with switch in bulb holder is going to wobble the bulb about and is the switch is a bit "clicky" then impart quite little shock when it operates.

I suspect these "energy saving" halogens are manufactured down to the minimum they can just get away with, when the bulb is in a static fitting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Agred. if you have screw in ones, wait until the filament has stopped wobbling before turning on.

Reply to
charles

Not as good as the £3.49 bargain (from off the 2 quid shelf) I bought from our local Asda superstore last month, a 12W version of the identical looking 10W 810 lumen LES lamps a couple of shelves above priced at 15 quid each.

At 810 lumens it's the equivilent of a 60W 120v 750 hour or a 75W

240v 1000 hour tungsten filament GLS lamp. A 1088 lumen warm white LED lamp approximates to a 100W 240v 1000 hour tungsten lamp. I've seen 13.2W LED lamps with 1055 lumen outputs being offered by some internet suppliers at a price.

Give it another year and we should start to see 10W 1500 lumen LED lamps at less eye watering prices on our local store's shelves.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Interestingly, in the description, they can't seem to standardise on either the UK 100W 240v 1000 hour or the USA 75W 120v 750 hour standard tungsten filament GLS lamp to use as a lumen output equivilent.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Mine shows km per litre, but actually indicates miles per litre ;-)

(mainly because its an import with a converted speedo, but the LCD panel that shows that kind of stuff is still the original)

Reply to
John Rumm