100W bulbs. What was all the fuss?

Yes I tried that, but it seems that all of the BS are behind a pay-wall, I didn't think it was worth paying £210, since bearing in mind the members of this group I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone already has it and might be able to enlighten us on the relevant parts.

Reply to
news

Judging by some of the comments they're of so-so quality and probably OK if one is not in the habit of swinging from chandeliers. It's difficult to judge what they're like from the pics and comments. TLC has these:

PeterC

No public library access in your area?

BS 5733 is a very general safety standard, used where there's no other product-specific standard. It covers things like markings, creepage and clearance distances, suitability of materials, construction of terminals, earthing, etc., etc. It doesn't specifically mention lampholders at all (but that doesn't mean it's not relevant).

Incidentally there's no longer a polarity requirement for E14 and E27 holders in fixed installations, provided they comply with EN 60238.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Here in the US, cfls (and other fluorescents) come in two shades of white. Cool white is bluish white, and apparently meant to imitate sunlight. Warm white it reddish, and meant to imitate incandescent lights.

Both are known to contain mercury vapor, and can therefore pose hazards in careless disposal.

Reply to
robertmilesxyz

Are we talking here about the old filament bulbs? I thought the government pretended these were the devil's work? If so, does this mean that filament bulbs are coming back?

However, even though I don't like the way the new-style bulbs ("CFL"?) come on dimly, then grow brighter over the next few minutes, they do cost a lot less to run, no? (Although if one is in the habit, as I am, of switching lights off when leaving a room, the saving must be minimal over the course of a year, specially since domestic lighting is minimally required in the summer months, anyway.)

MM

Reply to
MM

On Wednesday 13 November 2013 00:57 Andy Wade wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Does EN 60238 require the screw side contact must be less accessible and disengage when the lamp is partly unscrewed?

Otherwise it's a real reverse step in safety.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It requires that the lamp cap is not accessible (using the standard test finger) when it becomes live during insertion of a lamp. In practice the ES thread is ceramic or plastic and the outer contact is quite small and well recessed, so they're no more dangerous than a BC holder in regard to direct finger contact.

The polarity requirement was removed from BS 7671 when the 17th ed. came into force in 2008, so this is nothing particularly new.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I thought that it was a requirement these days that the contacts in a BC holder disconnected themselves unless compressed by a bulb, so that accidental contact would not result in a shock. Even if not a requirement, some manufacturers have been making them this way for decades. The ES contacts I have seen definitely don't do that, so are a higher risk.

ES holders also seem prone to jamming and trying to release them can break the bulb from its base, leaving two nice live wires in your hand! BC can stick too, but seem to do it far less often and of course you are pushing down while turning.

Probably to fall into line with the rest of Europe, where two pin plugs are common for table lamps and some 2-gang, three pin sockets are made with opposite polarities on the two sockets, so you have no idea what polarity your lampholders will end up.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

That's not the case. (BS 7671 requires BC holders to comply with EN

61184, which does not require the pins to be dead when no lamp is fitted.)

True, but that's largely a solution to a non-existent problem. How many people are electrocuted each year as a result of sticking their fingers into lampholders?

IME it's the other way round, ES lamps just unscrew, whereas the pins of a BC holder form dimples in the solder-pad contacts of a lamp which deepen over time, and can make it difficult to extract the lamp.

Well the context was fixed wiring (BS 7671/IET regs - based on IEC

60364) not appliances. It's more likely that the polarity requirement was removed because it's no longer necessary, now that safer ES holders are available. It still applies to E40 (GES) holders, BTW.
Reply to
Andy Wade

In my experience ES lamps can become very tight in the socket probably as a result of hot cold cycling. The the glass metal interface then breaks attempting to remove them.

Reply to
alan

Yup, similar here...

The cool versions are probably not bad for task lighting, but I would guess most sold for domestic use are the so called "warm white" ones. Though nominally 2700K still have a discontinuous spectra like all discharge lighting which means some find the light quality to be somewhat lacking.

Reply to
John Rumm

Since the re-engineering of the BSI site, the access via the public library portal seems far less usable the previously. The docs are rendered using a non resizeable silverlight window, and as yet I have found no easy way to download a PDF...

One might be able to come up with a url that would facilitate download if I could find an example of the form of it - but so far all the docs in the libraries subscription are "view only".

OOI, has anyone found a way of making it more useful yet?

It would be interesting to know if the current solution complies with the accessibility requirements for a public web site...

Thanks for that - a change I had not spotted.

Reply to
John Rumm

I must have lead a sheltered life, I don't think I have ever met an E40!

Reply to
John Rumm

Since the re-engineering of the BSI site, the access via the public library portal seems far less usable the previously. The docs are rendered using a non resizeable silverlight window, and as yet I have found no easy way to download a PDF...

One might be able to come up with a url that would facilitate download if I could find an example of the form of it - but so far all the docs in the libraries subscription are "view only".

OOI, has anyone found a way of making it more useful yet?

It would be interesting to know if the current solution complies with the accessibility requirements for a public web site...

Thanks for that - a change I had not spotted.

Reply to
Judith

a 500w lamp was quite something.

Reply to
charles

Eurgh that's a bit naff, I hadn't noticed the change.

My browser and download history doesn't go back far enough to include previous PDFs I've downloaded from them

Reply to
Andy Burns

600 and 1000W sodium lamps? Surely must have.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Seen them in catalogues etc, but don't recall ever meeting one in the wild.

Reply to
John Rumm

Don't know if that would help, since the organisation may well be different now. (its also possible that they have blocked direct downloads when they are not allowed).

If anyone has a login that allows download, then saving a copy of a search result page would be handy...

Reply to
John Rumm

I temporarily installed silverlight, wiresharked the traffic from their pdfviewer obect in the hope that it might sloppily reveal where it gets the PDF from ... but it's all https.

I'll try mitmproxy proxy tonight and see how well it checks its certificates ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns