Subject Author Posted Replies

Repair to desk
I have a pine desk. One of the screws for the roller mechanism for the shelf that holds the keyboard has fallen out. I am wondering how to fix this: 1. Fill the hole with plastic wood and power drill...
21
21

To fold or not to fold
Hi, I'm going to be wiring quite a few mains double-sockets shortly. All of them are simply on a ring, with one having a spur. Question is, if there are only two wires entering each terminal, should...
3
3

USB security keys
Anyone got anything good or bad to say about them? Do they work with linux as well as Windows? I don't have a clue about them, but a youtube channel I watch has been hacked twice in a month despite...
12
12

Oiled Wood Worktop
Folks, Oddly I have what I think is an "on-topic" post. I have an oak topped "Peninsula" or bar in my kitchen. Despite being oiled as specified, its started to feel a little rough in places and has a...
11
11

Smart Meters Installed- Octopus
As previously posted, we were scheduled to have Smart Meters installed by Octopus just over a week ago. The installation went very smoothly- the chap was very professional and more than happy to...
26
26

Heat Pumps
My boiler is kettling and needs replacing, it's quite old, supplied by British Gas, and has a flue that goes straight through the wall, some work would be needed to replace it including a new upright...
14
14

Water, water everywhere
Today I had a flood in the bathroom. A compression joint connecting the copper pipe work to a short length of plastic pipe to the digital shower mixer failed and being at mains pressure produced a...
13
13

under sink water heaters
I have been offered a used 10 litre under sink water heater but it is for an unvented system whereas my hot water is vented. What is the reason it should not be used on a vented system?
12
12

Fibre 2
Separate thread, related to the previous one... Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and change ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to change suppliers,...
42
42

OT:WTF is it with taxi and hire car wheelbearings ?
Took 2 Ubers yesterday. A SEAT and a Prius As with the last two I took, and the two before that (all various makes and models) it was clear a front wheel bearing was on the way out. Which reminded me...
6
6

Patch cable question
I am planning to connect my PC to the router using an ethernet cable. Length required is 10 metres. My broadband speed is 100 Mbps. Does it matter whether I buy a Cat 5e, Cat 6 or Cat 8 patch lead?...
47
47

Old digital camera electronics drawing current?
I still use a Casio EX-Z60 compact camera from around 2005. The problem is it discharges the lithium battery within a couple of weeks when left (unused) on standby. It never used to do this. It is the...
15
15

Choosing a UPS for a home setup Advice please.
I lost a PC PSU to a couple of micro-power cuts and (no doubt the associated voltage spikes etc.), so I decided to get a UPS to protect things. I only want to support the desktop PC, Monitor and my 4...
47
47

Fibre
Whoopee! The poles in our lane have sprouted a fibre optic feed! How long does the final connection usually take/how soon do I have to start worrying about telephone connections?
96
96

Solder station mainly for electronics - recommendations sought
My gas soldering iron has sprung a leak and I need to replace it but it turns out that the range of choices these days is huge so I'd appreciate some recommendations - either on specific products or...
16
16