1 Gang - 2 Way Switch

Hi

I am new to Electrics, but have a *basic* understanding of electricity. My scenario is that I want to install 2x Spotlights in my back garden. I require them to either be switched on as a result of "heat activation"(normal infrared activation build in the DIY spotlights) or "permanent on"(i.e. I switch them on and they stay that way till I switch them back to "heat activation".

I looked at possible ways to connect the 2 up and I require is a switch (for the purpose of keeping controlling the scenarios above simple) that can control switching off 2 live wires in 1 switch. In other words, It should have in stead of a ON and OFF (like an conventional switch) also a MIDDEL phase which controls the 2nd Live wire. Thus, FOR ALL 2 LIGHTS OFF:

Live---------o o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead) o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)

FOR LIGHT 1 ON, LIGHT 2 MUST be OFF:

Live---------o____o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Glow) o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead)

FOR LIGHT 2 ON, LIGHT 1 MUST be OFF:

o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Dead) Live---------o____o---------------^^^^^------||(N) (Glow)

What does one call this switch, and where can I buy one ??

Help will be appreciated

Arno van Rooyen

Reply to
arnovanrooyen

It's called a 3-position single pole c/o (change-over) with centre off, but such a beast is not made for standard single wall panels, so use a 3A toggle with thick bush (from RS, Rapid, Maplin or Farnell) and drill a suitable hole in blank panel so that protrudimg bush has a securing nut. Remember to run Earth wire to make metal thread and lever safe. You may find an-all plastic gismo with a similar function available from any auto spares shop. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

A lot of PIR controlled lights have that functionality - they can be changed between ON and SENSOR modes by a quick on-off-on sequence of the switch. Chech the manuals.

Alternatively, use two standard switches, one for each light.

If you don't want to run lots of switch wires around the place, look into X10 control modules.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's available in the various grid systems though - e.g. MK part K4899

(described as 2-way centre-off). This is easily built into a single wall plate, or any other required combination.

Reply to
Andy Wade