1 cubic metre ?

1 litres = 0.001 cubic meters

google agrees

Reply to
raden

In message , pjdesign writes

Being senile, I just type "litres to cubic metres conversion" in google

Are you a septic?

Litre ...

Reply to
raden

Looks like millimetres to me

No, really ?

Who mentioned shape anywhere?

Reply to
raden

In message , Brian Sharrock writes

Err ... you have a volume to volume conversion

Why bring mass into the equation ?

Reply to
raden

Bookmarked in case I should ever need it

Reply to
raden

Actually there's one milliTonne in one Litre ... OK it's not a _preferred_ unit : but is it a _precluded_ unit?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The original poster/question-poser quite _literally didn't have a clue_. a Tonne is actually a weight/mass of One million grammes- which is written as 1,000 Kg. It is not a measure of volume.

There is one and only one case when I Tonne = One cubic metre. and that is when measuring dihydrogen monoxide at One Standard Atmosphere.

Oh dear, you had to ask ...

How many litres in one cubic metre of (say) Copper, Lead, Plutonium ?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You also need to specify temperature...

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, Ian, he said "GOATS"

I know he was misreading but there's no way you'd get 4 million goats into a cubic metre. Unless you take the gametes of course but that's another story.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Someone wanted to skip the bit about temperature and pressure ...

Mary>

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're kidding. Oh, I see that reading back on it, that it was indeed goats.

Based on personal experience, maybe 2-3 adults, depending on the size, or perhaps up to 100 kids. (alive)

(experience of the animal in question, I haven't actually tried packing them into cubes, as that would in addition to contravening various animal housing regulations involve either a hell of a struggle, or a big can of no-more-nails.)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Bah!

That reminds me of a joke I was told by a new father ...

The size is important. I have a goat skin from an animal the size of a donkey, I'd challeng anyone to get even him into a cubic metre (when he was alive) and escape without bruises at the least.

Intractable animals, goats.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And what's wrong with the Megagram.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Brian Sharrock writes

Exactly the same, why ?

They're both units of volume

Reply to
raden

I don't know, what's wrong with the Megagram?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, I apologise! (I meant to write 'how many kilogram ... )

There was a reason _believe it or not_, for introducing the subject of weight into a volume question. Returning to the premise that the OP didn't have an intuitive grasp of the 'numbers' involved; otherwise, why ask the question? It's my experience that UK people become 'frightened' in a 'my-brain-hurts' manner when confronted by metric measures; ... yet almost everybody knows what a litre weighs - they've hefted enough one/two litre bottles from the supermarket. But the OP couldn't extrapolate the volume/weight of this experience to a cubic metre. In my experience the man/woman-on-the-street just doesn't realise that a cubic metre of water weighs one Tonne. The _fact_ never seems to have been exposed to them. But folk regularly talk of a forty-ton truck ...two tonne van ... they just can't make the connection of weight/volume

IMHO ... knowing the cubic dimension of something can lead to good guesstimates of something weight ... after all it's the basis of quantity surveying ... which has some relevance to D-I-Y. "Why bring mass into the equation " ... an attempt to give some real-world experience (of the poster) into a subject s/he found unfathomable - [real -human scaled- measurements!]

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

I agree with everything you said above.

It reminds me of the trick question my Dad used to ask: Which weights more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

There is more than one answer to the question of course but the image of a pound avoirdupois (or c 500g) of feathers is different in a child's mind to a pound avoirdupois (or c 500g) of lead.

And in many adults' minds. I was taught to think about the question by my almost illiterate* Dad and had the answer explained in physical terms at school. Do they do that now?

I don't know ... :-(

Mary

*born in 1906, a sick baby who missed most school and left at 13, he wasn't daft
Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote | Oh, I see that reading back on it, that it was indeed goats. | Based on personal experience, maybe 2-3 adults, depending on the | size, or perhaps up to 100 kids. (alive)

And minced (and non-alive)?

I can imagine the label on the tin of goat curry: 'a goat and a half in every half-pound'

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmmm ! For exceedingly small values of _closer_ .

__

Brian

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

And then there's *shape*. What about a flat, 10cm thick bale of feathers, and a tall cylinder of lead with the same mass?

Reply to
Bob Eager