1/2 " BSP fitting advice needed

I have finally given up on trying to source parts for my Grohe Neotherm thermostatic shower and I am now in the process of replacing it.

It appears that I will need to use 1/2" BSP connectors and I have Googled without success for the type of fitting required.

Does anyone know if I would be able to obtain a 1/2" BSP female to 1/2" BSP male straight fitting suitable for domestic plumbing??

The nearest I could find is this fitting

this be suitable?

Regards

Reply to
.newman

Good plumbing suppliers will have them. I have 2 here in my van now. They are sometimes used to extend tap threads a little to allow access to the thread - on some bathroom sinks, the tap is so far recessed that you cannot get access to the bottom of the tap to connect it to the water pipe, so these are used to extend the tap an inch or two. Also, I think you'll find that radiator tail extenders are probably suitable too. This is an adjustable one:

You can also get them in fixed lengths, 2 or 3 sizes, male thread one end, female the other.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

In article , .newman writes

Yes

You can also use a 1/2" bsp to 15mm compression adapter with the compression nut and olive removed as 15mm compression nuts are IME 1/2" bsp male.

This works fine if you are sealing on the threads of the male part of the adaptor but not if you are using a sealing washer at the end of the compression thread as it is sharp rather than flat and could make the seal unreliable.

See item 6655 about half way down this page:

fred

far enough. Also the existing fitting has a sealing washer.

Regards

Reply to
.newman

Why not just shorten the fitting at the female end to give the 20mm extension you want and fit the male with ptfe tape or bosswhite/hemp omitting the sealing washer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks

I have found these 2 fittings and I should be able to make a suitable adapter by cutting and gluing.

.newman

In article , .newman writes

Well spotted, that seems like a neat solution, I use solvent weld on waste but not on supply.

Trad solution is to use brass as shower fittings are bound to get leaned on and brass is viewed as stronger. Any overspacing is made up with decorative collars (& silicone ;-).

Let us know how you get on re durability and leaks, it would be nice to have a new system alternative.

Reply to
fred

I will be trying to source these 4 fittings locally this week as the vendor shown has a minimum £20 delivery charge. I will feedback how I get on when I have finished the job.

Regards

Reply to
.newman

>> Would this be suitable?

When the new shower was delivered I realised that I did not require to extend the BSP fitting. What I did was grind out the surrounding wall tiles sufficiently to allow the new fitting to screw into the existing connector. This allowed the shower bar to be connected. However that leaves one problem. There is now not enough room to fit the supplied shrouds. These are meant to hide the fittings and holes. At least the shower is now working and the holes have been plugged with plumber's mate till I can think of a more elegant solution to the shroud problem.

Regards

Reply to
.newman