0T: metric conversion

See, I'm less confused now. Never confused....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

From the B&Q website:

Product Features Width (mm): 38 Length (mm): 2400 Thickness (mm): 25 Length (cm): 240 Length (ft): 7.87 Length (inch): 94.49 Length (m): 2.4 Thickness (cm): 2.5 Thickness (inch): .98 Width (cm): 3.8 Width (ft): .12 Width (inch): 1.5 Width (m): .38 Product Type: Sawn Kiln Dried Timber

Five widths Five lengths Three thicknesses

Confusing? Or what?

Reply to
Rod

Not really confused, in my apprenticeship I had to learn inches,Thous, mm, microns, Whitworth, BSF, BSC, Acme,UNF, UNC, BSP...... So that's why my brain hurts!!!

Reply to
Corporal Jones

In message , George writes

Why don't you just type "convert 71.375 inches into mm" into google and ask it ?

Reply to
geoff

18" is also easier to see than measuring 457mm...na then I'll have to measure that agin cos me eye's went a a bit dodgy then. ;-)
Reply to
George

I am glad you posted that. It makes me feel better.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just about the only people who seem to use centimetres are education-types and the BBC.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I have a tape measure marked on one side in feet and inches, and on the other side in hands :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Also seems common with haberdashery for want of a better word.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Radio Amateurs ? Never heard one talking about the 700 mm band.

Radar bods.

Doctors describing cysts and tumour masses.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

And furniture retailers.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cm as far as I can see.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They are just not correct sub units

The unit of length is the metre, this goes up and down in factors of thousands -so millimetres and kilometres are approved, centimetres and hundred metres are not

Reply to
geoff

Only if they don't specify it. If I give a metric measurement it will be in mm or metres - say 2.4, etc. And you don't normally say it is millimetres - if I said 255 x 450 most would assume mm - but as I said some assume cm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am not disagreeing with you - you are obviously reporting your experience of doctors using cm. In my relatively recent forays into such things, I have most often seen them use mm. (This is from international resources - the UK could be out of step with the world and I possibly would not have noticed.) And it is this inconsistency that really doesn't help.

I mean, the most common thing I see is some lump/growth on the thyroid being "less than 4mm". On the basis that the selfsame organ could easily develop a growth of 40mm, that does leave the door open to someone seeing the number '4' and just assuming it is tiny. We do often remember things visually and I think it likely that we are more likely to remember the number than the unit.

In a similar context, I keep seeing reports of people taking, say, 175 mcg of a particular hormone. Some write that. Others write 175 mg. Some others write 0.175 mg or .175 mg - or mcg. And, somehow, 0.2 looks to be

*less* than .175. At least with that mess it is possible to have a best guess interpretation. If they mixed in (sub)multiples of 10 at the unit level it would be really horrible.

But another related hormone pill is still sold in grains. (Actually, it has relatively recently changed to 30 mg as the 'metric equivalent'.) Together with halves and quarters.

Reply to
Rod

I would, depending on the context.

If cutting MDF to box in pipes, I would assume mm, but if building a deck I'd assume cm.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from Mike Barnes contains these words:

There is nothing inherently wrong with Imperial units either.

Cm are not preferred units in SI metric and belong in the dustbin of history along with dynes, ergs, calories and other obsolete units from the pre SI age.

Calories of course are in widespread use even by those who deprecate the use of obsolete units which tends to be a double whammy. 99.99% of those who actually use the term really mean kilocalories.

Reply to
Roger

Would you?

If mm were used, both are very obvious.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But measurements like 1750 and 1705 are easily mixed up - by me anyway. 175 & 170.5 is clearer

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Who does the approving, and more importantly, why should furniture retailers care about their "approval"?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

So the SI doesn't "prefer" them? Why should that matter to a furniture salesman?

You forgot hectares, by the way. They're not going to die out anytime soon either.

I know. But that 99.99% uses calories for comparative purposes only so the absolute value is meaningless to them. Anyone who needs to relate calories to other units probably appreciates the distinction.

Reply to
Mike Barnes