0844 numbers

And that is the right way to look at it. As a customer wondering why my order has not arrived on time, I should not have to pay more than a standard call charge to find out.

Reply to
Davey

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 00:14:01 -0000, Davey wrote:=

Why should you get your call for free? What made you so special?

-- =

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - The fear of long words.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

And if they're charging the same or less than the wages paid to the call= centre employees, then they're not making a profit. You want it free? = Email them.

-- =

In the Nintendo GameCube instruction manual: "Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"

Reply to
Mr Macaw

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 11:49:11 -0000, Davey wrote:=

It's pennies, get things into perspective.

-- =

Paddy is said to be shocked at finding out all his cows have Bluetongue.=

"Be Jeysus!" he said, "I didn't even know they had mobile phones!"

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I paid for the goods, and they didn't arrive when they were promised. Now I have to chase up the supplier. And I'm not saying free, I'm saying for the basic cost of the 'phone call.

This is going round and round, enough.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

Yup.

Which is why you shouldn't waste you time replying to Mr Macaw.

He isn't interested in reality (that by law the company should have provided a basic rate number as you say), he just wants to argue

Reply to
Chris French

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 17:09:55 -0000, Davey wrote:=

You buy =A330 of goods then moan about a 50p phonecall. Look up the phr= ase "mountain and molehill".

-- =

A hammer is a device designed to break valuable objects next to the nail= you are aiming at.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Although there's an interesting twist in this one. The law applies to

*post contract* calls. The call is to the carrier, and he doesn't have a contract with them - the vendor does. I wonder if they reckon they can get away with that.
Reply to
Bob Eager

It's pennies to each individual customer but it's thousands of pounds to the company when you add together all the "only pennies" from the individual customers. That's what offends most people - not that they are losing money but that someone is gaining money.

And actually, the cost of of a normal geographic call is zero to many people since they are on tariffs which allow unlimited geographic calls, so you have to compare the cost that the company makes against zero rather than against normal geographic rates.

Reply to
NY

Your has an R on the end. You sound like a chav, which explains the wor= ry about pennies.

I'm interested in common sense. And getting concerned about a cost of p= ennies when you've bought goods for pounds is just stupid.

-- =

Keyboard error - press any key to continue...

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What a stupid thing to get offended about, especially as they aren't making any money at all, they're just losing less money employing thousands of people to answer the phonecalls.

It's still below the minimum wage.

If you don't want companies to charge you for calls, get OFCOM to remove chargeable calls altogether, it would be far simpler and far more effective.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

He tried contacting both the vendor and the carrier. I think he (Davey) is referring to the vendor in this bit of the thread though.

Reply to
Chris French

snip

Correct.

Reply to
Davey

Because you have paid for the product or service.

Reply to
jack

The carrier certainly uses an 0844 number; I had a delivery from them today, and their tracking site mentions that.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 21:06:31 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:=

te:

Oh my goodness me it's the end of the world.

-- =

How come abbreviated is such a long word?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Well, until very recently a vast number of companies used 0870 numbers that were substantially more expensive than 0844/5 ones.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Again, this should be taken into account when pricing a product/service.

This is how it is done pretty much everywhere in the developed world. In the States, for example, a much more competitive market than the UK one, pretty much every customer service phone number is a free one. ...and yes, they still manage to make a profit...

Reply to
JoeJoe

te:

It's still not much if it's a 3 minute call to ask "where's my parcel?"

-- =

Extract from a customer complaint letter sent to The Body Shop: I recently shampooed my pet rabbit with Body Shop shampoo. Its eyes bulg= ed out and turned red. If you tested your stuff on animals like everyone= else, this sort of thing wouldn't happen...

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Why do you care where the profit is made? In fact, why should I pay ext= ra in my product cost when I don't use the helpline and you do?

-- =

My younger sister was having one of her first gynecological appointments= and she had some questions for the doctor. "Doctor" she asked, "I can't ask my parents, They would kill me but my b= oyfriend wants to have anal sex. I don't know what to tell him, I mean = I don't know anything about it. Can I get pregnant?" The kindly old doctor smiled whimsically and replied "Of course, you can= my dear. Where do you think lawyers come from?"

Reply to
Mr Macaw