Peerless 801 transaxle case/cover separation

Would appreciate any advice on proper (i.e. safe and effective) methods(s) for separating the cover and case (top and bottom halves) of a Peerless 801-038 5-spd transaxle (from our John Deere LX173 lawn tractor).

I have released the sealant between the 2 halves by gently tapping a very thin wall-scraper blade through the sealant, and have used a slide hammer (again reasonably gently) attached to a cap screw threaded into the ball-detent hole, but the case and cover are still tight together. The input shaft and the shift rod are free and the unit is in neutral. I can't see the plate with the ball-detent sockets; could the cover be jammed somehow on the shift mechanism?

Any help will be much appreciated -- we employees of the State are desperate to avoid large repair bills from "outside": -- budgets, much pinching of pennies, all that sort of thing.

Thanks you,

Steve Freeman Maintenance Travelers Rest State Historic Site, Toccoa, GA

Reply to
Steve Freeman

Russ