overcharging a drill

Hi

I have a B&D cordless 9.6V cordless drill. I am out of town and left the manual behind. I don't know how much charge is left on it. Will it be ok if I just plug it in for a few hours, or is there a danger of overcharging it. Does it have to discharge completely before you charge it again?

Thanks for your help.

Tina

Reply to
tulasipriya

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1167425481.197560.109080 @s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

As a general rule of thumb, you should be able to leave a drill battery on the charger all night with few problems. If you've got NiCD batteries, you do need to discharge them fully before recharging, but they'll also handle overcharging much bettery than the other battery types.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Leaving NiCads on all night occasionally may not hurt it but making a habit of it will shorten the life of the battery. They get warm, heat bad. You don't have to completely discharge it every time. In fact an expert on Ask TOH this week said it was bad for them. I think the practice is a ploy to keep people form over charging. Fully discharging something like every tenth time may/may not have some benefit but don't run it till the bit stops. IOW, if the battery feels warm its done.

Reply to
T Shadow