Impact Wrench

Is an corded impact wrench a useful tool for a home DIY'er to consider purchasing? What are some of the uses that people in the group have found for such a tool?
Philly
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:29:23 GMT, "Philly"

I pretty much only use mine to remove wheels from the car. I use a torque wrench for re-installation. Doug B.

What can be done with it would depend on how much torque it can produce.
What I have been looking at can produce 300 ft/lbs of torque at 2600 impacts per minute.

impacts
Normally consumer air tools are ~250ft.lb. Ratings are optimistic. It should be in the same league at least. Don't expect to go much larger than lugs nuts. Or tackle that size if heavily corroded. You'll still need at least a penetrent.
As the other poster states, use a torque wrench for setting wheel's(especially aluminum)lug nuts. Last time I bought tires, watched the guy put the wheels on with an impact wrench. Looked good, just like I would have done. Next day started getting pulsing. Luckily redoing with the torque wrench fixed it.
To me the best reason for an impact wrench is to loosen fasteners when the other side can't be held. This only come up once in a while. The main thing that I use it for along that line is motorcycle fork tubes.
Seen them used for driving large lag screws. 19.2V drill/driver seems to do that for me but don't do a lot of it.
Do you have an air compressor? If not, then a corded impact gun would b
a nice tool to have. I don't know what type of hobbies you have, but i you like working on cars then it's a must have
-- Shamrock1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shamrock12's Profile: http://www.4x4kingdom.com/forum/member.php?userid=1 View this thread: http://www.4x4kingdom.com/forum/showthread.php?tU8

I had a tip from an airtools supplier ( I love my compressor ) if you are buying an impact wrench examine the back plate - the cheaper lower power units have only four retaining screws and are prone to blowing gaskets and warping , the ones to aim for have an additional screws inside the four. see http://www.sealey-tools.co.uk/parts/SA2.PDF thats a 4 screw (back plate is part 34) which is available relabelled and sold by just about everybody. Derek