how are hammer drills with chisel bits at cutting bolts?

How well do the el cheapo hammer drills with chisel bits do at cutting off nuts and bolts? I've got some in very inaccessible places where I can't get any tool but an air chisel of an electric hammer drill with chisel. Not confident my air compressor will carry the air chisel. Bolts I need to cut are 3/8".

I tried cutting off the heads of the rear bumper (fender) bolts on my Range Rover same problem no space to work in I used one of the big hammer drills specifically designed for the job? - pure rubbish the only thing it did was made my ears ring I ended up using a Dremel it took a while and 4 discs but did the job Derek

off
need
hammer
it
AFAIK hammer drills are for cement. I wouldn't expect an air hammer to be useful for such a large bolt either. The Dremel tool is great. I've had one for 20 years. If your going to be doing bigger jobs like this consider getting a bigger cut-off tool. I have an air powered one and a battery powered spiral saw that can be used that way but it doesn't have a guard. Right angle grinders can be used with a cut off wheel too. IIRC RotoZip has a right angle attachment for their tool.

I reckon you are right on the money the descriptions of these tools are delibrately vague http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p 0212015 the one I was trying was about twice the size of this beauty and still not man enough I do have air and electric angle grinders and cutoff tools but when its a really tight corner a little Dremel is a versatile little beast that can save world of trouble Derek

Agreed. Especially with the option to use the right angle head. Been looking at the reciprocating saw attachment for the same reason.