Hoe head and hoe handle

I am completely urban, but bought a heavy hoe head and heavy handle for someone and I want to assemble it but don't know how. The receiving end of the handle is larger than the hole in the hoe, and I don't know whether to sand it down or do something like soaking it.
I am pretty aware of wedges after the hoe is on the handle, but need general advice. I just found this site and am hoping that there's a FAQ or something for dummies.