Gutless Makita R/O sander

Hi all,
Any ideas as to why my Makita random orbit sander, which I dearly love, would have become absolutely gutless ???
I took it apart to examine the brushes but they seemed fine. While I had the cover off I also cleaned the commutator. No change at all.
With no load it revs right up but if you set it lightly on a piece of wood the darn thing stalls.
Thinking about it now, I think I put new brushes in it two or three years ago.
Wha hoppen ???
Thanks much,
Perk (:>)
Note --- My real email is perkatwavecabledotcom