electric impact wrench repair advice and questions

Got a nice, approx yr old Chicago Electric impact wrench I bought on Ebay.
Yesterday, it quit, and I need to fix it.
Harbor Freight doesn't even want to hear the word repair, on these.
Seems Chicago Electric doesn't have authorized repair facilites in the US. In fact, Chicago Electric isn't even in the US.
I'm going to have to fix it myself, if that can be done. I was into it awhile ago and couldn't find anything visibly wrong. However, the square drive spins freely, whether the motor is running or not. The motor is somehow disconnected from the drive tip.
I was hoping to find someone who'd done a fix-it job on these successfully.
Sounds like the output shaft that comes from the reduction gear box has broken. Good luck finding a replacement. Might be better to find another one on eBay.
RB wrote:

Thanks. A guy just tipped me off to this exploded parts view of the impact wrench:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/45000-45999/45252.PDF
It's almost got to be either the broken shaft you mention, or a broken spring. I think the spring forces engagement of the square thingee outside the gear case. No spring, no engagement. Same thing no shaft.