Bits for Makita 1501K 15mm Hammer Drill

Advice for a newbie please.

How do I fit a bit into a Makita 1501K hammer drill? Its a keyless chuck, but the chuck only rotates a quarter turn max and doesn't close anywhere near enough to grab a regular diameter bit. Is there a trick I haven't figured out - or are there special non-standard 'fatbits' I need to buy?

Thanks.

Reply to
Sebey

I just had a look at the on-line user manual on Makita's website. This looks like a regular 3 jaw chuck. The ring should spin just like any other chuck to move the jaws in and out. As they slide, the tapered interior and springs cause the opening between the jaws to get larger or smaller.

If yours turns only 1/4 turn (90°), then you should go back to vendor to have the chuck or the whole drill replaced.

Bruce Nelson

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson

I'm not sure if you have a drill similar to one I had. But my hammer drill was listed as "SDS" and required bits made specifically for SDS hammer drills. That might be your problem.

Reply to
Robert Reznikoff

If it is of any help, here is a link for a manual and a parts list for the Makita 1500 / 1501 / 1501K drills.

Reply to
Bruce & Lois Nelson