Best brand name for newbee ?? Power tools

I want to get back into fixing things around the house and such. I use to get my power tools from the Sears main store. I went the other day just to look for a cordless drill and the whole hardware, in fact the whole store seem to be in short supply of everything a person would want. About 5 plus years ago there would be stacks of boxes of what ever tools you would want, plus many discounts on many models. I have just started watching the DIY network and they use the Dewalt power tools? I could use the cordless drill, along with a skill saw, and a deck and or sheetrock drill to sink the screws. I would appreciate your advice to get me on the right track again. Ryan

the DeWalt power tools work great, however, "Houston, we have a problem" -- the VERY expensive batteries that power these DeWalt tools are only good for a year or so, then you get to buy new ones which make these tools too expensive to operate. I'd stick with Makita, tools are as good and the batteries last several years.
cowboy
I can agree that DeWalt, Hitachi, and Makita make great cordless tools, but are professional grade tools and are expensive. If you don't plan to use your tools to make your living you would be just fine with some less expensive tools. For just some weekend stuff you may consider skil or black + decker. Batteries of cordless tools are the most expensive part and usually the first to need replacement. I would stay away from sears stuff, also steer clear of "no-name" tools and ryobi. If you need replacement parts or warranty service you'll be glad you went with a decent brand name tool.

Thank you very much.

I have a Ryobi cordless and a Milwaukee corded hammer drill vsr.. one extreme to another i know but it's working out for home repairs and some renovation.. hope this helps.. jim