Belt Sander tracking

I have an old B & D 24" Belt Sander that has become a problem. The belt keeps tracking off the sander. The sander had two adjustments. One is a lever that will reduce belt tension and makes it easy to replace the belt. The other control is a knob under spring tension that can be turned either clockwise or counter clockwise. I suspect this is to correct a tracking problem. However, I have tried adjusting this knob while running as well as in an off position. In neither case have I been able to get the belt to track down the center.
I haven't tried taking it apart as I don't know what I am doing. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to repair this belt sander?
I think you will find the knob connects to the carriage for the front (idler or tension) drum. Tracking is controlled by tiny changes in the angle of the drum. If the linkage is missing, or the bearing or drum are worn, it will not be possible to get the belt to stay on the drum
Bruce Nelson

as
anyone