Anyone have a good experience with Black & Decker lately

Page 2 of 3

I haven't found out whether this is the case or not as yet but I suspect it is. The sad thing is that B&D also own the DeWalt brand as well, so you can guess where the quality of this once proud power tool range will end up.
They bought GE appliances a few years ago and since then it has been down hill.
CJT wrote:

No kidding! I thought GE still made them.
On 12/29/2004 11:18 PM US(ET), Fred took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

B&D bought GE's small appliance division, not the large appliance division. The small appliances are probably still made in the former GE plants with former GE workers.

--
Bill

...which are probably all in China.
jak

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:41:50 -0600, "jakdedert"

GE hasn't actually used American workers to make any kind of appliance for some time. Just one more reason they're known as "Generous Electric".

Not related to anything, but GE employees call the GE logo the "meatball".
After seeing how they treated my friend, who is THE best salesman I have ever seen, I wouldn't use a GE product to wipe my butt with.
He used to sell for one of their industrial divisions until he got fed up and got a decent company to work for. They can't do a good job calling on customers because HQ is always sending the latest green VP down to ride around with them. Then, when they're allowed to plan their own day, they have to limit their sales calls because of the time required to fill out the reams of meaningless reports. In the mean time, their customers wait for weeks for GE customer service to contact them. I myself was interested in an industrial product and never did get anyone to give a reference on it.
Fred

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:03:18 GMT, "Fred"

Fred, I grew up way back when in a home that had to deal with GE and all the crap they dish out. My old man was an electrical engineer working in one of their industrial divisions servicing motors and generators. I still hate GE with my heart and soul to this very day. It wasn't untill my old man tried to got the union in that he got a decent wage. It took over a year with GE pulling every criminal, dirty trick it could to bust our efforts. They even hired teamsters to come in and terrorize the families. I took more than a few licks on that one, not to mention me and my father having our cars bashed up on several occasions. I wouldn't pollute my piss on a GE product.

I hear you about that. Typical plantation-minded company best I can tell.
One good thing about them.... they bought one of our major competitors a couple of years ago. Now our company spends over half the time fixing their products in the field and the other time replacing them!!

the
GE

their
GE used to make really top notch stuff, sometime back in the 70's though they started getting cheaper and at some point they passed a point of no return. Today for the most part, GE is junk, the once renowned name is forever tarnished.
| GE used to make really top notch stuff, sometime back in the 70's though | they started getting cheaper and at some point they passed a point of no | return. Today for the most part, GE is junk, the once renowned name is | forever tarnished.
A lot of these old line names seem to be rented out to 'improve' crap these days! You can usually tell when you see them used on some totally 'wrong' product. "Bell and Howell Triple Head Shaver - As Seen On TV" comes to mind. Bell and Howell Shavers??? What happened to their projectors?

these
mind.
Bell and Howell is the brand of parts systems that I repair in car dealerships. Same logo, so I know it's the same group. That scares me!!
Will
c.reifert wrote:

B&H were also in the military manufacturing business (Radar/Periscopes etc.)!

Bell and Howell were into just about all types of manufacturing years ago. Especially the photographic industry. Gunsight cameras, belly cameras etc... Then there's all the actual general photgraphic cameras from still to mopic.( in the 60's they marketed the most popular work horse 35mm around under the pentax label. Spotmatic was it's name.) Then of course there's all the WWII era cameras they made for th military which were used right up to the late 70's.( their 16mm combat movie cameras the KM, KLM, KRM 70 series. I used them during my combat camera days.) They also made slide strip projectors as well as movie film projectors. They started out as principally a grinder of optical lenses and grew from there.

me!!
Sounds like a familiar story - a company makes a name for itself in one area, then establishes a good distribution network. Then some wall street gobbler buys it for it's distribution network and used it to sell cheap junk and trinkets. Then they unload the shell of the company after they have sucked all the value out of it and run off their senior tech staff.
James Sweet wrote:

Back in the '60s (and possibly earlier) GE was a innovator in production shortcuts. Since they also developed and manufactured electron tubes and plastics, they took advantage of it in their consumer product development. Their TVs were the first with polarized power cords, presumably to assure acceptable performance.
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:25:47 GMT, "James Sweet"

From chapter 5 of 'Perfectly Legal' by David Cay Johnston:
'Jack Welch left GE in September 2001 after 41 years. His final salary and bonus totaled $16.7 million. He also left with stock options worth a quarter of a billion dollars and a pension that shareholders were told was worth more than $9 million a year.'
This did not include the perks that were paid by GE, including a Boing 737 for his personal use (page 61).
I guess that GE was doing fine for some.
Geo
| From chapter 5 of 'Perfectly Legal' by David Cay Johnston: | | 'Jack Welch left GE in September 2001 after 41 years. His final | salary and bonus totaled $16.7 million. He also left with stock | options worth a quarter of a billion dollars and a pension that | shareholders were told was worth more than $9 million a year.' | | This did not include the perks that were paid by GE, including a | Boing 737 for his personal use (page 61). | | I guess that GE was doing fine for some. | | Geo
See "America: What Went Wrong?" by James B Steele, Donald L. Barlett
Reader's quote ===>> "America: What Went Wrong" is just as important and relevant today as it was when initially released. America's overall economic situation is much worse today than it was when this book was initially published. This book accurately forecasts the problems America has as it loses its manufacturing base and became a service-oriented society (Wal-Mart supposedly has 700 Chinese factories of its own). Now the multi-national's factories are fleeing Mexico in 2002 for the slave-like workers of China. Unsettling for sure, I challenge you to read this book and don't be surprised if you re-read parts of it as the late 1990s Clinton/Greenspan artificial economic bubble unwinds into a 1930s style worldwide economic depression.
GW

Thanks for the reference. I'll check if my local library has it.
Geo

Some patriots, these CEOs! Sell the nation down the tubes just to raise EPS.
Lenin is supposed to have said something like this:
Don't worry about the capitalists; they'll sell us the rope to hang them with.
:-(
David