Air paint gun

I just bought a spray gun for my air compressor to paint an old dresser. It seems to pulse the paint instead of giving a steady stream (it pulses with just straight water too). This is the first spray gun I've ever used. Is this normal? If not, what could be causing it?
Also, can anyone reccomend a spray gun to use with latex paint?