What to look for in a kitchen faucet?

Looking to replace my tired kitchen faucet, wondering if there's any particular advantage with the single handle integrated on the faucet type -vs- the 2-handle hot/cold type as far as longevity and ease of DIY repair?

Any things to look for? I see some touting a "ceramic disc" valve, is this a genuinely desirable feature or just marketing-speak?

Any particular brands/models you'd recommend, particularly looking at the under-$100 range?

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
docsavage20

When we did ours we looked at features, manufacturers rep and price in that order and did go with the ceramic disc vs rubber for longevity.

Reply to
mrbubl

My last house had hard water and the ceramic disc faucet I put in needed cartridges within a year. I ended up taking them out and soaking them in vinegar overnight to stop the drip. Don't know if that is common problem with ceramic or not.

My current house has ceramic in all but the slop sink and they are great.

Reply to
RayV

"Ceramic disc" valves are relatively common these days.

I bought a Price Phister faucet (combination faucet/pull-out sprayer) a few years ago. The on/off valve never leaked, but I've had to replace the faucet/spray head twice. I wouldn't pay extra $$ for another.

This time I'm going with Kohler, per the recommendations of several plumbing suppliers.

Reply to
John Weiss

Seems like hard-water might be a concern for ceramics:

"...Newer ceramic disk valve faucets can be turned completely on or off with the flick of a wrist, but they are susceptible to mineral scale damage in hard water areas..." From:

RayV

You will not find quality in the under $100 price. That said, 14 years ago I installed a Chicago faucet, separate hot and cold with "wing" controls like a surgeon would hit with his elbows. But the most important feature is the very high rise output pipe, like a chem lab. It is chromed brass. $350.

Reply to
Stubby

Stick with the good brands like Delta or Moen. They have the same guts in most of their models and are pretty reliable. Don't buy some cheapie look alike or you will be replacing it in a few years.

I like the single handle for ease of use in the kitchen. Easy to adjust flow and temperature with one hand. In the bath or shower, that is of less importance

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been standardized on Price Pfister on all my rental units. I always get the ceramic disc and single handle pullouts for the kitchen. Many of my tenants are rough on equipment where something last 30 years with a homeowner will only last a year or two with a tenant. Price Pfister so far no problems (except for one but that was fixed) and service and tech support are good. For defective parts, just pay for the postage and handling - they don't even ask for proof of purchase.

I've make the mistake of getting a high end French kitchen faucet. It broke within 6 months and parts only available from France and they don't or refuse to speak English. That one went to the junk pile. Price Pfister from now on and they haven't directed me to India yet for tech support or parts order. Nothing against tech support from India except I don't understand some of the spoken words. Had good luck with Delta and Moen too.

Reply to
Jack

Personally, I hate the pull-out PF that came with this place. I have mineral-laden water, even with a softener, and the thing seems to lime up in a month. Next time I see a Delta single-handle on the discount rack when they change out the display units, I'll probably switch it back to a seperate hose.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

docsavage,

I've noticed all my plumbing buddies on the PLUMBING newsgroup haven't offered any opinions, while the DIYers are full of ideas.

Just use the Delta or Moen faucets. They work in such a way as to avoid compression of the pieces. Both single handle and double handled styles work by cutting the water off, and they're both easy to repair. Actually, most of the name brand faucets work just fine. Just avoid the cheapies that are more plastic than brass. Some name brands, for my money, are over-engineered with too many moving parts.

And what the DIYers should do is urge you to seek advice from the plumbing newsgroup in the future, rather than offering their own Anecdotal/amateurish ideas. Why, I've heard that even women are allowed to offer advice on these groups!

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I'm sorry Mike. Ya' know it was a holiday weekend.........

Mike is right, just stick with Moen or Delta and you'll be happier in the long run. Price Pfister does make a good trotline weight though.:>)

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

I cannot recommend Delta. After a few years both of them began to drip and finding the right kit to rebuild them was difficult. So, that's the first thing you want to look for -- before you purchase the faucet. Next, one Delta suffered pitted chrome on it after about 10 years. Delta is the low end.

Reply to
Stubby

"Stubby" wrote

....And your credentials are.....?

Mine? A 30 Master licensed plumber. Besides, you need to re-read the OP. The request _was_ for an inexpensive ftg.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Bob,

Now be easy on this guy. After all, we're not sure why he's called "Stubby" (but I have a working theory).

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Before buying a new faucet, find out how much replacement parts cost (for fixing leaky faucet).

For old style faucets, the cost is maybe 20 cents for an old style "seat washer"

For new style faucets, don't be surprised to pay $30.00 for a "cartridge". Also don't be surprised down the road if they discontinue to manufacture the cartridges for your faucet and you are forced to buy a new faucet.

Reply to
Bill

I'm bein' nice.... Was you tryin' to imply he is "short" sighted...? :>) Maybe "short" winded? Perhaps "short" minded? Or just "short"?

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

stubby dick is covered in shit. Delta repair kit is the most common repair kit on earth. Price ass fister is shit i never use it.

Get the cheap delta, single handle and order a repair kit to throw in the draw for a rainy day. BTW Any ACE Hardware has delta repair kit, ive seen em at Wal-Mart too.

\ Check out this page

I don't mean to promote one company but for a DIY deal it really is easy.

It is funny when a cross post exposes fake plumbers and/or a-hole self proclaimed experts.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I've been a homeowner since 1985 and I've lost count of how many kitchen faucets I've had. I've tried all the major brands, and no matter what, all the lever types I've had leak within a year or two. Delta, P/F, Mohen, balls, ceramic disks, cartridges, expensive, cheap, middle-of-the-road, etc. The only ones I've seen that didn't leak were the ones w/ H and C knobs. Had one like that in a house I owned for a few years and never had a problem w/ it.

steve

Reply to
Steve Kulpa

Bob, & any other of the pros. Do you think that Groe is worth the extra bucks?

Reply to
3rd eye

To me, the main consideration is the availability of parts. If you go to a Home Depot or Lowe's, what "brand" parts do they have in their plumbing repair display. The chances are best that it's Delta and maybe some Price Pfister. I've become a real fan of Delta as the best compromise between price and quality. We had homes with different brands of kitchen and bath hardware, including PF, Grohe and Delta. Nothing has matched the day in and day out reliability of Delta. I recently, finally, had a couple bath faucets drip, so I rebuilt all faucets in the house. They were all Delta and all parts were obtained with ONE trip to Lowe's, There was no need to look up a plumbing supply house and try to buy parts over the counter. There was no need to go from one store to another looking for parts for less popular brands. One stop got all the parts and everything was rebuilt in under a couple hours.

Nonnymus

Reply to
Nonnymus