Washing Machines Added to Older Condos

I hope someone knows something about this.
We have a number of owners in our 22 story condo who would like to add combo washer/dryers to their unit. The strata claims that combo washer/dryers can not be added to the suites because the building isn't plumbed to accommodate them. Apparently each riser needs a sudsing basin at the bottom otherwise it may flood the suite above or below. Can anyone comment on this? I did a search for sudsing basin on Google and couldn't find any hits.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers, Paul

search again using the term suds vent