Washing Machine Install

I'm replumbing my laundry room to accomodate a stacked washer & dryer and have two questions about the drain pipe.
1) The old drain, a 1 1/2" ABS standpipe, doesn't appear to have a trap. Is this typical for washing machine drains? I think I can fit in a running trap (U-trap?) if needed.
2) An old general home repair book advises installing the drain pipe so the outlet is no lower than the wash tub water level -- to "ward against overflow." Since the book was written about 25 years ago, I'm wondering if this still applies. The manual for the new washer gives instructions on the maximum height for the drain but says nothing about a minimum height. I could possibly get the pipe up to the level of the tub, approx 35", but in the same wall where I'm working there's a vent pipe in the way. Otherwise, the outlet will be about 27" above the floor.
Kevin
"pakdog"
First of all, if you can put in 2" instead of 1.5", it'd be better. Washing machines pump a lot faster these days.
Secondly, you really need to have it trapped somehow. The trap needs to be on the same floor of the washing machine, and it needs to be vented. If it's not, there's a danger of momentum from the water siphoning the trap dry. BTW, double check to see if there's not already a trap on it somewhere.
Thirdly, the standpipe needs to be above the top of the washing tub. If the top of the standpipe is lower than the water level in the tub, it'll just run out to that level. I like to put the drains visibly higher than the washing machines, just to keep things in easy view.
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:11:33 -0400, Mike Grooms wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the response. I have a question about this after looking at the owners manual again. They show a picture of the washer connected to a floor drain with just a brief caption and nothing more ('Place end of drain hose in the hole in the floor drain system.'). This suggests to me that it is possible to drain to an outlet lower than the top of tub. What am I missing?
Kevin
"pakdog"
It's one of two things. Either the drain hose itself runs up to the top of the wash tub before it exits the machine, or there's a solenoid valve or something on the drain. Maybe stackable units are different than most washing machines I know. If the manual says it's OK, then go for it.
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:38:29 -0400, Mike Grooms wrote:

It's an LG maching and I'm calling their tech support tomorrow before tearing up any more of my wall! Everything I've read here and elsewhere confirms the basic idea that the highest point on the drain hose must rest above the high water level in the machine. Because of what it will take to make this happen (I've spared you most of the gory details), I've been getting as much info as I can first.
Thanks again for taking the time and sharing your Wisdom.
Kevin
Mike Grooms wrote:

Hey Mike you get another shiny gold star. I can't find nothin I don't agree with in this here post.
MM
On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:11:33 -0400, Mike Grooms wrote:

Thanks again for the info. Pardon my ignorance I'm just trying to find the easiest way to deal with this.
Kevin