tub spout diverter leak

I have an old (unknown age, but at least 12 years) American Standard tub spout with a wall diverter that leaks far more than I would expect when the water is directed to the shower. It seems like it is leaking enough to decrease the available pressure to the shower. Is there any way to tell how much it is supposed to leak/drip? Are there any spout diverters that do not leak or drip as part of the design?

Thanks in advance for any useful responses.

Jack (in Connecticut)

Reply to
Jack

"Jack"

If it's leaking far more than you'd expect, then it's time for a new spout. The old one unscrews. Use a pipe wrench if necessary. If everything comes apart OK, then a little careful measuring should get you back in business. If something breaks, then you might need some professional help.

Reply to
Mike Grooms