Toilet won't flush without detergent added

I have two toilets that do not want to flush most of the time. They share a wall so that they are back-to-back and I am sure they share a common pipe. The trouble started without warning yesterday and continues to today. The sinks and tubs in the same bathrooms have not been slow, nor are there any gurgling noises, etc. The odd thing is the toilets flush when I add dishwashing detergent to the bowl water. Without the detergent, they do not flush. I learned of that "trick" on other websites. I had just added some blue automatic toilet cleaner blocks to each toilet. I removed them, but some residual remains. It was suggested to me to try running a water hose with the water running down the vent pipe. I have not tried that yet simply because I have no way of getting on the roof. For what it's worth, the toilets are located on the opposite end of the house from the vent pipe. I have tried repeated plunging and I had put RidX in last week.
"ATL"
I'm having trouble believing the dishwashing soap helps. It sounds too coincedental for it to be separate problems, but it's possible. Do the toilets ever actually overflow, or do they just not flush right? What happens if they're flushed simultaneously?
What a plumber would do, if he couldn't figure out something easier, would be to pull one of the toilets, and what what happens when the other is flushed. Can you supply any more details?
Thanks for the reply Mike, but I have since solved the problem. The problem was the blue block cleaners. I read on various websites after posting my problem that the blue blocks can thicken the water and/or clog the openings under the rim of the bowl. Both prevent the suction needed to flush from getting started. I'm not sure if either is correct, but I performed the detergent "experiment" repeatedly and adding the detergent always did the trick. I would guess it has to do with lowering the surface tension of the water. I removed the blue blocks and the toilets will flush by themselves, albeit not as good as they do with the detergent.
"ATL"
I thought you meant you dumped the detergent in the bowl. For future reference, a coat hanger is the perfect diameter for reaming out the holes.
When you wrote, it sounded like both toilets were malfunctioning at the same time. I, of course, would have diagnosed the problem immediately had I seen it.
we always tell people not to put blue in the tanks, it causes problems.