Tie in question

I am replacing an existing tub with a larger tub in a second story house. I was going to move the existing drain line back and branch over to make the new drain connection. For clarity. imagine a compass. The old tub drain is dead north and the new tub drain is due east - in other words it is 90 degrees to the left from where it was.
Problem - a 6 x 14 header runs between the joists making it impossible to make this tie in as I cannot weaken the existing header. A 3" waste line for the toilet is in the same joist bay as the new tub drain and on the other side of the header.
Can I cut the existing 3" toilet line and add a wye - 3 x 3 x2 and make the new connection? The tie in would be 6' down from the toilet - I can add another vent from the wye and tie it back to a 2" existing vent. I would make the trap 11/2". Will this work or will I cause drainage problems or back up with the toilet. Your advise will be appreciated. Bill
bill,
I think it sounds like it'll work. As a precaution, roll the 3X2 wye up a little, so it's above the flow line of the 3". If there is a vent around from the old tub's drain, then tie that in with 1.5" between the wye and the tub trap.
Thank you - This is what I was thinking would work. I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks Mike,
Got it working today - very clean and no leaks!! Appreciate your input. Bill
As long you tie in the vent above the level of any other drain, you'll be fine.
Appreciate it - That is the paln.
Is the tub in the same room as the toilet it will be "wet venting"?

Eric Miller wrote:

I don't know what it being in the same room has to do with it, but let's not open the "wet venting" discussion. I still have bruises from Wheatley.
Around here if a fixture is wet vented it must be located in the same room.

I ain't hurt nobody in years....:>) Okay....except maybe edeck the sack licker.:>)
Bob Wheatley
Hey, you're in way over your head. Hire a plumber, you moron
After reading most of what people are saying about you- I would watch who you are calling a Moron!! I plumbed it and it works fine!