Temperature alarm-phone line?

I'm trying to find a piece of equipment to be able to monitor the operation of the A/C in an air-conditioned room.

I remember there was a type of thermostat made which used to plug into the phone line. It was for heating, and they used to use them in areas where people had heated cabins. It plugged into the phone line and mounted on the wall. If the temp dropped below 50, it would close a set of contacts and you'd get a busy signal if you called the phone. In really cold weather you'd call daily, and if you got a busy signal you'd know there was a problem with the heat.

I need the reverse. We're away a lot, and live in a hot, humid area. If the A/C fails, we'll have a problem with mold, etc. I want to be able to check that the temp is BELOW a certain number, say, 80 degrees.

The unit doesn't have to be able to dial the phone, just a "yes/no" indication would be good enough.

Anyone familiar with this stuff?

Thanks, Dean

Reply to
Dean

If you are away a lot you may want a home security system. I thermostat could be wired as a zone.

The alarm panel would call the service. The monitoring service could call you, a service contractor etc, a friend or relative etc.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Never heard of this kind of set-up before but it should be pretty easy to rig up. You'll need a phone and a cheap non mercury ( because it will be attached to a box instead of the house) air conditioning thermostat. The cord from the telephone is split to expose the red wire ( only the red and green wires are needed for the phone to work). The phone is left off the hook and the red wire is cut and wired to the thermostat. As the temp rises above the set point of 80 degrees, the contacts close. This completes the connection to the phone which being off the hook will give a busy signal. You could use a resistor instead of the phone after figuring out the right value but most people have a cheap phone lying around already.

MM

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

Know any electronics geeks?

You could configure this circuit to call you and say when the critical temperature is reached:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think you want to go to Radio Shack or some other alarm company supplier and get an auto-dialer. E.g.,

These gizmo's call several phone #'s, (until one answers), and deliver a prerecorded message. Normally they are triggered by a burglar alarm (door opening, window breaking, etc.) or a small battery operated wireless panic button but could easily be triggered by an air conditioning thermostat - closes contacts on heat rise.

Reply to
Bennett Price

Thank you for the links. I may have found what I'm looking for. Might have to do a little "modification", but if it works when it's done I'll be proud of myself.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

replying to Dean, Kirstin03Koly wrote: In this modern and high technology world which is also called the ?information era?. There is no doubt that people now want to own the life that is safe and free and do the thing that they like and want to do. And usually such kind of life is not so easy to own for some people and as they are monitored by some device. If so the phone jammers can be your good assistant.

Reply to
Kirstin03Koly