Sump Pump & Washer Drain Lines

I recently had a home inspected and was told the sump pump and the washing machine should not be draining into the main wast line. The washing machine also had a running trap with no vent. Why and how is this a problem and how can it be resolved?

Reply to
dhasled

"dhasled" wrote in news:68017084c75d4@uwe:

My first question would be who did the inspection? Sounds a bit screwy to me. No, the sump pump should not pump to the waste line...it should pump outside or according to your local code. Where did they say the washing machine should dump? If they are just saying it is tied in wrong, that is likely, but you can't dump a washing machine discharge anywhere else besides the main waste line from your home.

No vent makes the water drain slow. Think of a straw with your finger over the top. You need air in to let water out.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Eric

Thank you for your response. i assume if the sump pump drains into the main waste line, it could cause a back up in the line. It is best to have it pump from the box sill out onto the ground? Also what would be the best way to vent the washing machine line?

Thank you

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
dhasled

"dhasled" wrote in news:6802a435ec86e@uwe:

The problem with the sump pump pumping to the waste line is that if everyone in your neighborhood did it, the local sewage treatment plant would get overloaded with rain water every time it rained, and sometimes for days after a rain. In most towns it is a violation of the sewer ordinance to do so. Although *most* older homes (at least here in NJ) are still connected.

The best way to vent the washing machine line would be according to code. I don't know where you live or what your plumbing looks like right now, so to say any more than that would not be prudent.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

"dhasled" wrote in news:6802a435ec86e@uwe:

Sorry, forgot to answer this one. Depends on where you live, the plumbing code you follow, the terrain of you property and so on.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Eric,

Thanks for the quick response I appreciate your comments. I live in Illinois

Thank you Darrell

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
dhasled

"dhasled" wrote in news:680391a521f55@uwe:

No problem. Wish I could help more but my best suggestion would be to call a qualified plumber in your area to do the job right. Even if it is just for consulting and you do the work yourself, you will save a ton of trouble by having it done by a pro.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.