Stem valve won't keep handle upright

Folks:
I recently replaced the stem valve on a Moen faucet on the kitchen sink. The new valve fixed the leak, but the problem is that it isn't stiff enough to keep the lift-up handle upright when I turn it on! So I lift up the handle and it takes maybe two seconds for the weight of the handle to pull it back to the off position.
Does anyone know if stem valves come in different levels of "stiffness" or if there is a way to adjust the tension on a stem valve so this doesn't happen?
Thanks,
Allan
My guess is that the handle isn't on right.

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 05:44:07 -0800, allan yarbrough wrote

Was the valve stem (better know as a cartridge in a Moen faucet) a Moen replacement part or a knock-off made by someone else? If it was made by Moen it will say Moen on the cartridge. If it was an original Moen part, was it a 1200 or 1225?
Occasionally new Moen cartridges have a little too much lubrication. You can either let the excess lube "wash out" over time (2 to 3 weeks is not unusual) or if it is a 1225 cartridge you can remove the cartridge and wipe some of the lube off the inner component which should push out the bottom of the cartridge.
Doug
The stem valve we removed was a Moen 12801. I didn't replace the stem valve myself, but I'm told that the new one was also a Moen stem valve purchased at Home Depot and looked the same as the old one. I'm not sure what the model number is, but I'll try to find out.