Shower cartridge

Are brass replacement cartridges better than plastic? What about just getting the after-market replacement washers and using the old cartridge? This is a Moen.

just get a whole new cartridge,,, a brass one
On 12/19/03 Joe snipped-for-privacy@apartmentgrove.com asks:

They both work fine. The advantage of the "plastic" cartridge is it is less affected by bad water and is more easily removed and lubricated to maintain smooth operation.
LUBRICATE?, you say.
Yeah.....remember the commercial pay me now or pay me later? Stem and cartridges working in water need to be lubricated from time to time with a good silicone paste lubricant. DO NOT USE any lubricant containing petroleum (like vaseline)
Doug