Shower Base Removal

I am trying to remove an old shower base from my basement level bathroom. It's on a concrete slab and the drain goes down into the floor, no access from below. It's a 48 x 32 rectangle with the drain exactly in the center. Removing the grill exposes an opening where there appears to be lead securing the base to the waste pipe. There are no nuts or screws. I tried lifting it up but the drain has it securely fastened down.
How do I remove the old base?
On 05/21/04 John Rowan snipped-for-privacy@nodomain.org Asks:

This is the one time you use a bigger hammer!!
Get a sledge hammer and break it up.
Doug
3 corner Chisel to remove the Drain. The lead is Code, break the Tile remove the lead then break the Concrete or hire a Klingon.

Yussarian wrote:

shower base. I hammered an old screw driver into the lead and was able to pull it out from between the pipe and the old base drain. Once the lead ring was out the tray was freely moving and with the help of my daughter we were able to lift it out of it's tight quarters. New one slid into place and uses a thick rubber gasket to go around the waste pipe and seal the drain.