Sewer Back-Up: Vent Stack or Lateral Drain?

I had some back up into a shower stall and toilet in the basement. I had a plumber snake the sewer line and he told me it was full of roots, that I should hit it with the root eating chemicals which I did that day. Now 30 days later we ran the washing machine and two showers in the morning. Guess what? Back up rears its ugly head again. I called the plumber again and they have the previous service call on file and they state that it’s going to need a lateral line replacement. While awaiting his arrival for an estimate on the dig I went to the roof to check the vents. Shine my light down the first tube and it looks good. But the second, WHOA!! OBSTRUCTION!, about five feet down the pipe. Looks like leaves. So I grab my manual snake and send it down, turning and pushing. I bore a hole through this mess and send the snake all the way down(50ft maybe). Pull it up and the end is all wet. Yet I was only able to penetrate the obstruction with the snake drilling action, so there really only is a inch hole in the vent. It seems to be decomposed leaves/dirt like substance. I thought when I went downstairs I would have drainage, but there was still standing water in the shower stall.
It drains very slowly, maybe a little under a gallon an hour.
Here’s the question: Do you think it’s the lateral connection (13ft supposedly) to the main clogged with roots or could it be that I need to give that vent stack a proper clean out?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (orange) wrote in message
here are the facts: 1) your not a plumber and you don't have a clue o what your talking about. 2) your house sewer is plugged. 3) you need a second opinion from a real plumber and let him tell "you" what the problem is, thats means keep your mouth shut until after he gives you his professional opinion. 4) only an idiot would excavate on one persons opinion unless you had a past history with this guy and trust him totally, and we know this isn't the case because of all the dickin around your doing.
kenny b

"kenny b"
Why'd you take it so easy on this guy?
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (kenny b) wrote in message > here are the facts: 1) your not a plumber and you don't have a clue o what your talking about. 2) your house sewer is plugged. 3) you need a second opinion from a real plumber and let him tell "you" what the problem is, thats means keep your mouth shut until after he gives you his professional opinion. 4) only an idiot would excavate on one persons opinion unless you had a past history with this guy and trust him totally, and we know this isn't the case because of all the dickin around your doing. kenny b Kenny B- Thanks for the reply, glad I could be your whipping boy. 1) I know I'm not a Plumber, but I've been reading the boards and the net and I have an understanding of some of the basics. That's why I'm posting here for some possible ideas and conclusions. 2) Yes, I mentioned that there was some back-up. 3) I agree I haven't gotten the second opinion yet, but I'm having a hard time getting replies back. My first real Plumber stated that there were roots in the line and I managed to keep my mouth shut the whole time. 4) No dickin around going on, just looking for more OPINIONS on the web. Sewer backed up yesterday, I had a guy out to the house to give me an estimate that day. The same guy who came out the first time to use a root cutter on the lateral. I do trust him, have had a good feeling about him since the first visit.
why dont some of you dumb ass plumbers be a little more helpful instead of being a total know it all ass........ and for your info yes i am a plumber unrestricted ........so if anyone has any questions about anything feel free to ask will give you the best aspect of the problem solver i can.
(kenny b) wrote in message > here are the facts:

"keith messer"
If you are a plumber, then please learn the proper use of the apostrophe and how to capitalize proper nouns. Otherwise we'll just think you're a moronic sheet-metal man or drywall hanger.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (orange) wrote in message (kenny b) wrote in message > here are the facts:

On 20 Oct 2003 23:56:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (kenny b) wrote:

Too long doing service plumbing kenny? :-P
kenny b- No problem man, we all have bad days. And speaking of bad days/weeks, I'm biting the bullet and throwing 3,000 greenies to have the pipe replaced. I had a second guy come out and confirm that the pipe has got to go. This pipe is original equipment that is 70 years old and passes by a group of swamp maple trees that have infiltrated every square inch of my soil to a depth of five feet. Unfortunately, this is going to have to pass as the Christmas gift to the wife, we'll be high fiving each other as we happily flush our toilets!! Sad, but true.....Hope your job turns out OK!!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (orange) wrote in message

Thanks and ditto's on the sewer.
(kenny b) wrote:

Yep! looking forward to hunting season again.