Septic tank question

I've been told that it's necessary to have bacteria in the tank to digest the waste. I know that Rid-X or yeast will supply this. My question is: "If anti bacterial soaps are used in cleaning products,will this cancel out the process"?

Reply to
Herb

Maybe if you poured a dozen gallons of the stuff directly down the drain (for that matter so would a whole lot of other things at that concentration) but not from the suds made by washing hands. IMHO the stuff is not any more effective than regular soap, its a bunch of marketing hype if you ask me.

Rid-x may fortify the most useful bacteria but there is plenty of the stuff around. It comes right out of people with what gets flushed. Metabolized antibiotics discharged in urine are far more potent than any soap and you can flush that into a septic system.

Reply to
PipeDown

In a word....No. However, excessive washing machine effluent or grease _can_ destroy the bacterial "cake" and/or the field system.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

I get my tank pumped out about every 5 years. I have never had a problem and I have been known to put some bad stuff down the drain, IE bleach. I have never had a problem with my tank and I did use the anti-bacterial dish soap for a while. I have dealt with one "dead" leech field/tank and that was caused by grease as bob mentioned. To fix a company had to come out and drill holes in the yard where the leech field was fill with fresh water and bugs and a fishtank bubbler. (holes were about 6 inches across and 3 feet or so deep. (perhaps deeper, I didn't get a good look) after a while the good bugs were able to take over agian.

Reply to
Ned Flanders