Replacing old galvanised iron pipes

After 40 years, the corrosion totally clogged up the water supply.
Should the pipes be replaced with copper or stainless steel?
maybe PEX is the choice. Copper is the normal replacement.

What does PEX stand for?

Polyethylene cross-linked
MM

Plastic excretia (shit)
Easy to fit Fast to fit Diy suited LOTS of pipe clips Looks like a dogs breakfast most times.
It has its plusses and i do use it from time to time, but how many plumbers would have it in their house? None that i know, unless for underfloor heating, which says quite a lot!!!
Tam
or hard water, which would prob be the only reason id personally use it in my house.

There is a type of pipe here called "Unipipe" made by Uponor which although is not strictly speaking Pex, is a multilayer composite with an aluminium layer inside. You probably have something similar over there. It is a LOT better to use, and look at. One gripe is they have made it in 16mm 20mm 25mm sizes and so on where in the uk standard pipe sizes are 15mm 22mm 28mm etc. You need an adaptor to fit standard size pipe which you dont always carry. Apart from that it is good stuff. I suppose in around 10 to 15 years we will all be using more of the plastic stuff and good old copper will be a rare sight? Thats progress eh? ha, but hopefully i'll be retired to the beach by then! Check it out http://www.unipipe.co.uk / Tam the Plumber
I put it in my house and love it. Not a piece of copper. So now you know one.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:40:53 GMT, "tam the plumber"

I like the IPEX KY-Tek flavor better for the aluminum core stuff. one of the best things about it is the low expansion factor; same as copper pretty much. PEX is 1 foot for every 100 feet per 100 degree temp rise. The compression joints leak on all brands, I like soft copper rings (Wirsbo is still my favorite though). Its not much fun to string the alum. core through holes.

Poly cross link something.

plumbers

umm yeah thats what i tell my clients.
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:36:23 +0000, Ned Flanders wrote:

cross linked polyethelene