Reasonable cost to bill

I have been doing my own plumbing for many years. The town was to pay for the rerouting of the sewer drainage in the basment.
I removed 25' of cast iron pipe Installed 40'pvc to two toilets 1 washer trap 1 sink 3 cleanouts all the hangers 8 4" elbows caped off the old line. The materials cost 300.00 and due to them forgetting to get it done and they couldn't get a plumber to do it that night and the old line was to be removed the next am leaving me with now sewer due to their screw up. I did it from 4 pm until 1:30 am and removed the old pipes in an additional 3.5 hrs
They said to send a bill I want to make sure I charge enough I was looking at $700 including materials but this may be too low I don't want to screw them yet I think it would have cost alot more Whats a fair cost for saving them Jon
"user"
Making as much as a plumber would on this wouldn't be right, I think. I'd be happy with the $400 you made doing this in your own home & such. A "handyman/plumber" would charge about the same, though a plumbing shop would have charged about double.
I agree that making as much as a plumber would not be right I was concerned that this might encourage them to allow this to happen again as they could save money. I think they got out cheep and took money away from local plumbers that could have done it either at a premium or reasonably had they not been neglectful. The street service pipe was installed 2 months earlier. I know that they will mess with me on the cost and try to get away even cheeper because I do not have a basis for my charges. Jon
Call some local plumbing shops and ask their service rates. Then use charge them a little less if you think you must. Dale

"user"
I reread your message, and I didn't understand the situation. Charge them $1000 for the labor. I'd sure be happy to get a grand for the work you described. I'd probably get it done a little quicker too.

basment.
additional
Screw them.
"Blackbeard"
How can you possibly charge that much and still be competitive? You can't possibly glue pipes that much better than the average Joe.
What he did wasn't exactly rocket science, and it wasn't an emergency situation. Not even Rotor Rooter has the nerve to gouge like that!
I'd bet you'd make more money if you charged by the cuss words you use!
It was an emergancy situation as I have a family with 3 kids and had to go to work the next am. There was to be no plumbing after 8am the next day and I would have had to take a day off work to let them in assuming they were able to find sombody to do it. The town is small and the sewer commision only meets once a month so one of the sewer commisioners also would have had to take a day off. I don't want to screw them but I do want them to pay the going rate. It was a very big hassle for me to straighten out what they messed up.
Supreme court Mike. A TV repairman gets a call, he plugs the set in. He charged for a service call minimum hour. Decision ; You pay what a person knows, not what he does.

use!
I'm just saying that I can't imagine people paying that much for plumbing work. Many lawyers don't charge $127/hr.
I wonder if Blackbeard would pay his car mechanic or an electrician or his furnace man that much. And then there are other plumbers who think that if someone else charges much less, that they're somehow stealing from them.
How many lawyers in the yellow pages ? Most are bad lawyers.

plumbing
his
if
Yes inspected and done properly. they even measured the pitch on every line!
I used to do painting and I would give a reasonable price and always do a perfect Job much better than what others would do. One day I submitted the price to a customer and they said how much to do a better job I added 30% and they said that is the job they wanted with no explanation and braged that they had me do the job at a higher price than what I gave them because they new how great a job I did at the lower cost and could only imagine how much better theres would be than the friends that recommended me. It was a case of the emporers new clothes! After that raised my price and got more work and people begged me to do their painting. Go figure!
Follw up, I went to the meeting armed and prepared. I had 2 bills 1 for 765.00 1 for 1200.00 The first person screamed at them for 20 min the swer commisioners tried to explain they are voulenteers and yes towns people do need help them they are overwelmed but the town would have to raise rates to have a full time person and nobody would go for that. In fact one of the unpaid officials siad " I have a septic system Im trying to help better the town by saving you money" I have absolutly no gain or compensation" well My turn came up and I complimented the great job they are doing and I appreciated their efforts. I told them I took care of all the plumbing the job is complete and here is the bill for $765.00 They voted on it on approved unamously and thanked me for coming to their rescue. I felt that I went through alot of bs dealing with this but I made $365.00 from it they get hasseled nonstop for petty things and they get a $200.00 stipend per year. I am very greatfull.
"Blackbeard"
I was wrong about the emergency nature of this situation. I'll read things closer from now on.
I appreciated your input and I did raise the charge a bit. Thanks again Jon