Re: Toilet Handle Location - New Home

- Nehmo - If this were a problem in my house, we would just clamp on a miniature set of alligator-mouth (flat) vice grips. If that's too heavy and causes the lever to stay in the down position, then also clamp in a counterweight, like a butter knife, with the handle of the butter knife going to the right (over the pivot of the lever).

If I were correcting this "problem" for a customer, I would buy and install a longer flush handle. Home Depot might not have a large enough selection.

Where are you located, OP? Maybe I could direct you to a store.

Actually, many older or fancier flush handles are composed of two parts, one of which is the outside leaver. You could buy the two-part kind and custom make your outside lever.

- Me or Blake -

On the final walk-through of our new home today, I noticed all of our > toilet flush handles are rather hard to get to. > > Could somebody that knows more than me take a look at these pictures > and see if these look installed correctly with the correct parts? I'm > talking about how the handle is obscured almost completely by the lid. >
> Here's the labels of the toilets (Made by Vortens, Seat by Bemis) and > how it looks with the lid down: >
> And here's a toilet in the model home which shows much more clearance > (I think due to a different tank model): >
> So, is the seat too big? Is the handle placed incorrectly? Does the > smaller tank not match the rest of the toilet? Am I crazy for even > thinking about this? > I'm going to stop by Home Depot tomorrow, but I figured I'd get better > answers from you guys.
Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Yes, you're crazy for even talking about this. You're complaning about how the toilet was engineered in the first place. If you don't like the design of the toilet, yank it up and install a toilet you like better. There is no "fix" for something that isn't broken.

And this response about using a butter knife...? I don't know what the hell that guy's talking about. Some dumb shit about using a butterknife as a counterweight. Does that sound reasonable to anyone? If I came to your house and borrowed a butterknife to fix your plumbing...and then charged you $135, would it sound reasonable then..? or would you want me to "fix it right"

Reply to
Blackbeard

Um, I think it is called sarcasm. Should be in your dictionary...

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

You're absolutely right! That is stupid! The reasonable solution is the shingle and duct tape idea.

JTMcC

Reply to
JTMcC

The shingle and duct tape and the vice grip ideas, though quite functional and efficient, leave something to be desired in the aesthetics department. Norm would probably make something nice in oak and hold it on with a little glue and now a few brads.

complaning about

like

what the

anyone?

reasonable

miniature

butter knife

buy and

large enough

store.

two-part kind and

all of our

parts? I'm

by the lid.

Bemis) and

for even

Reply to
DanG

But you can get duct tape in a wide range of colors now...

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

No Real Man would use ANYTHING but the original gray. Feh! ;-)

Reply to
Bill Seurer

But you have to keep the lady of the house happy, or it won't matter if you are a real man! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I don't think the color of your duct tape is going to help with that...

Reply to
Bill Seurer

Just put the lid down to flush! It belongs down anyway.

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt

JUst keep giggling the handle, it'll stop

HAHAH

Jane

Reply to
Jane

"Jane" <

Dames...geez

Reply to
Mike Grooms

He was obviously JOKING, he said the real solution would be to put a longer handle on it.

-v.