Re: Main Sewer Connection - Odd Extension

It's a standpipe for a washing machine discharge. It could also have been used as an illegal sump pump drain. Not a source of sewer backup but certainly a source of sewer gas in the home since the trap is dry.
Where does the pipe from the top of the tee go? Does it vent out the roof or is it the drain from a first floor fixture?
MM

Why
Erratum to last post:
I somehow missed the part of it being the main stack. I was looking at it and thinking it was two inch.
It's definitely not code. It's probably an illegal sump pump drain. It should be cut off and capped at the tee branch.
MM

Why
Thanks Mark - I thought as much. The sewer gas coming into the house is a bit scary.
There is a sump pump hole a good distance away. God knows what they were thinking when they put this in.

In 01/23/04 "Mark Monson" m snipped-for-privacy@ztech.com writes in part:

Come on Mark, there's not enough shown in the picture for you to make that statement. From what is shown in the picture it looks like a perfectly legal (in jurisdictions that use the Uniform Plumbing Code) installation for a washing machine standpipe. However, there may be piping outside the scope of the picture that would render the above statement incorrect
If there is an odor coming from it it is probably because the trap is dry as posted earlier by someone else.

Speculation......however if it's not being used, caping it off would stop sewer gas from escaping.
Doug
writes in part:

legal
He said it was the main stack. You can't just tee off the main stack with a P trap like that. Because the stack carries discharge from upstairs, a standpipe like this would have to be separately vented.
However, there may be piping outside the scope of

as
That would be me.

sewer
On 01/23/04 "Mark Monson" m snipped-for-privacy@ztech.com write in part:

Go back and look at the picture. There is what appears to be a 3" cleanout tee topped with a 3 x 2 reducer then a 2" sanitary tee. Would you call that a main stack?

You are 100 percent correct on your last statement, I just don't think what is shown in the picture is his main stack. That's why I said there's not enough shown in the picture to fully answer the question as to what it is or if it meets the code requirements.
Doug
write in part:

cleanout tee

main
At first glance it looks like two inch. That's what I thought too. But look at the 3/4 copper next to it. With my handy dandy desk micrometer I measure the standpipe at about 4.5 diameters of the copper service. 4.5 x .875 O.D = 3.94" O.D.
It's four inch on bottom, three inch on top, with a three inch P trap.
MM

what is

enough
it
First - thanks to both of you for looking at this.
I can confidently tell you that the main stack is the vertical pipe on the left. It is 4" PVC. So is the P trap and the straight pipe with the open end.
This is a mess and I'm taking it out as soon as I get back up to my mother's home in Syracuse - I live in Philadelphia. I don't think there's any rush given that this has been in place for the 4 years she's lived there.
Or should I be thinking otherwise?
write in part:

looks like a 4 inch band,a 4inch c/o, a 4x3 bushing , 3 inch san tee,with a 3 inch trap.cut it and cap it or pour mineral oil into the trap it will not evaporate like water.( no sewer gas).but it will still not be up to code.
I wouldn't worry about all the cross-talk. If you're not using it, cut it and cap it with a permanant glue cap (about $3.00 at Home Dopey).
tee not cross