Re: Central heating radiators

well, you just got mike's attention
you are correct in saying that each individual room should be sized according to its heat loss calculations to give a suitable room temperature (which can vary from room to room)
i know modern buildings tend to be well insulated,which means smaller radiators are required.When you bought the house was there any indication given to room temperatures in the blurb,i would have thought the architect for the housing project would have done these caculations and the builder not just shoved in any old thing
I moved into my new house 10 months ago. I was very disappointed with the performance of the central heating in some rooms last winter considering it was a new house I expected it to be very efficient. Looking at the radiators I noticed that they have used exactly the same size radiator in every room regardless of size. I have found a web site www.radcalcs.com where you can put in the rooms size, window size, type of room etc and come up with a BTU/h rate. When I compared this figure to the BTU output of the size and type of radiators I have, surprise surprise there are 4 rooms that have radiators which are too small (Lounge, Kitchen, and 2 bedrooms). I don't know how to calculate the requirement for the hallways, but I have a lot of them (3 floors) and they have single rads as opposed to double in the rooms.
Now to get to my question. If anyone has come across this site is it reliable for calculations? The house is only 2 years old and still covered by NHBC, can I make a claim to them and ask for the radiators to be replaced? How do I estimate what should be in the hallways?
Thanks in advance for your help..............being a female it's tough having to stand up to the powers that be, so I would like to be knowledgeable as I can before I tackle them!!
Angela
Most radiator manufactures have their own tables based on the exact output of their own design (of radiator). The heat loss part should be standard regardless of which program you use. Generally, hallways do not have radiators (in residential applications) because they are subject to air flow from common areas and do not cool off (most people don't spend much time in the hallway anyhow). You can check out www.slantfin.com . They have a heat-loss calculator there, and will also determine the baseboard requirements based on the style you select.
Good Luck!
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I moved into my new house 10 months ago.&nbsp; I was very disappointed with the performance of the central heating in some rooms&nbsp;last winter considering it was a new house I expected it to be very efficient.&nbsp; Looking at the radiators I noticed that they have used exactly the same size radiator in every room regardless of size.&nbsp; I have found a web site <A href="http://www.radcalcs.com ">www.radcalcs.com</A> where you can put in the rooms size, window size, type of room&nbsp;etc and come up with a BTU/h rate.&nbsp; When I compared this figure to the BTU output of the size and type of radiators I have, surprise surprise there are 4 rooms that have radiators which are too small (Lounge, Kitchen, and 2 bedrooms).&nbsp; I don't know how to calculate the requirement for the hallways, but I have a lot of them (3 floors) and they have single rads as opposed to double in the rooms.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Now to get to my question.&nbsp; If anyone has come across this site is it&nbsp;reliable for calculations?&nbsp; The house is only 2 years old and still covered by NHBC, can I make a claim to them and ask for the radiators to be replaced?&nbsp; How do I estimate what should be in the hallways?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance for your help..............being a female it's tough having to stand up to the powers that be, so I would like to be knowledgeable as I can&nbsp;before I tackle them!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Angela</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thanks everyone for the advice - including those who emailed me directly.
Angela
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I moved into my new house 10 months ago.&nbsp; I was very disappointed with the performance of the central heating in some rooms&nbsp;last winter considering it was a new house I expected it to be very efficient.&nbsp; Looking at the radiators I noticed that they have used exactly the same size radiator in every room regardless of size.&nbsp; I have found a web site <A href="http://www.radcalcs.com ">www.radcalcs.com</A> where you can put in the rooms size, window size, type of room&nbsp;etc and come up with a BTU/h rate.&nbsp; When I compared this figure to the BTU output of the size and type of radiators I have, surprise surprise there are 4 rooms that have radiators which are too small (Lounge, Kitchen, and 2 bedrooms).&nbsp; I don't know how to calculate the requirement for the hallways, but I have a lot of them (3 floors) and they have single rads as opposed to double in the rooms.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Now to get to my question.&nbsp; If anyone has come across this site is it&nbsp;reliable for calculations?&nbsp; The house is only 2 years old and still covered by NHBC, can I make a claim to them and ask for the radiators to be replaced?&nbsp; How do I estimate what should be in the hallways?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks in advance for your help..............being a female it's tough having to stand up to the powers that be, so I would like to be knowledgeable as I can&nbsp;before I tackle them!!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Angela</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=