Radiator will NOT SHUT OFF! Haunted?

I have an older two family home. One of the radiator's on the first floor run's hot constantly. We shut off the heating via the thermostat but the radiator was still hot. We then shut off the upstairs thermostat, thinking that maybe it was connected to the other apt. Currently both systems are off and the radiator is still cooking! Any advice.

Check to see if it is connected to the hot water system.

More thoughts. Sounds more likely to be teed directly off boiler flow before any valves for heating/hot water.
Heliotrope Smith wrote:

I will have to try to figure out someway to follow/track the pipes

Your not supplying enough info.
By radiator you mean cast iron radiator in an older home? baseboard maybe in a older but not as old home?
Boiler (age ?) Steel piping off boiler with cast fittings/newer copper? 2 pipe system? Each radiator fed off a supply and return trunk? Series? one to another and so on. Mono Flo ? Off supplu back to same supply? What do the thermostates control, valves/circulators? Sounds like the boiler maintains temp, does it? Does it have a domestic coil?
kenny b
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Okay, more info..hmm. You sound like a professional. I can tell you the furnace is green with black trim lol. All radiators are cast iron. I am not sure of the age of the furnace, but a door in the front was formally used for coal. There is a small elevated tank fed from the top of the furnace that heats the water. The strange thing is that I grew up in this home and it used to be the coldest room in the house. I know this is a fairly new problem. Clearly I am far too ignorant of the specifics to properly give additional info. I will talk to my brother and see if he can give me more specifics. Thanks.

Sounds like an older 2 pipe system. Does the boiler maintain temp? ( is it always hot in the boiler) Does it have a circulator, If so how many? Does the thermostat control the circulator?
It would probably be best if you called a professional, it's not something a novice should be doing.
kenny b
Novice is an understatement! I guess I was looking for someone to give me a quick fix. I will be replacing both systems within the coming year. I was hoping not to have to invest in repairs in the mean time. Thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Remember the lowest price is not always the best deal.
Thanks. Are you a plumber, or just very smart :).
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

I'd like to think a little of both. ;)

sounds like a bad check valve. on systems like that a check valve is usually the only thing stopping a rad. from gravity feeding. big rads are the worst when it comes to gravity feed (or best if you have a gravity system). I'd almost be willing to bet you have old time serviceable check valves. You can sometimes open them up and clean out what is bothering it. Exercise the check valve, open it then close it; close it tight as you can. to find the check valve: if you look at your boiler you see pipes that come out of the top of it. when all your heat is turned off they normally will be cool. you will have one pipe that stays hot. that one is probably the ghost supply pipe. if you follow that pipe back to the boiler you will find some stuff. right before the tee where all the pipes meet is the normal location. you will likely see a shut off valve and a check valve. the shut off is easy to know because it will have a familiar handle. the other thing is the check valve. red green and bronze are the most popular color. on the top of the things they have something you can twist open and closed. try this it might work.