Question about scale in line

I just recently had to replace the recirculating pump on my house. When I took off the old one, I noticed what I consider to be a significant amount of scale build-up in the housing. I was surprised by this. The house is only 4 ears old. Is this because of the hot water and the slow flow in the lines? Is this likely developing in all of my lines. Do I need to think about a softener. I was surprised because I am on city water as is everyone around here and I know of nobody with a water softener. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Reply to
BP

"BP" wrote

Hard water can cause scale to build up in plumbing, water heaters and water using appliances; especially when that hard water is heated. Recirculating hot water has this problem more than hot water lines without the recirculation. Recirculation also causes erosion wear in copper tubing if the velocity of the water is too high. That is becoming a major problem around the US.

You need a water analysis and if your water has more than 3-4 gpg of hardness, you need a water softener. Since you're on 'city' water, the material you found may not be hard water scale. Most water companies add chemicals to their water and since most are now using well water their water is harder than what it probably was before the change from surface water. Many people on city water won't pay money to improve their water simply because they are paying for the water and mistakenly believe it shouldn't have a problem that costs them more money.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser