Q re Turning off valve to toilet

To turn off the water JUST to the toilet, do I just turn the valve to the right until it stops? Does the water in the toilet have to be emptied first? If so, how do I do that?
If it's not that simple, here's the story. The toilet won't stop running. There's a trickle of water that sounds like it's coming from the bowl, and every few minutes the toilet flushes itself. We're wasting a LOT of water, and every time I hear that flush, in my mind I see dollar bills going down the drain (so to speak :-)). Our usual plumber's not in today, and I need an "in the meantime" fix.
I'd really appreciate any suggestions, websites or whatever!
Diana

Most of the guys here insist that when a woman asks a question, that she includes a picture of herself. I, of course, am above all that.
Just turn the handle of the valve located near the floor to the left of toilet clockwise. You might have to nudge it with pliers, if it hasn't been turned in a few years. Don't worry about the water in the tank.
Iron Mike wrote:

So glad to hear chivalry's not dead, Mike. To tell ya the truth, if I had included a pic, you'd flush *me* down the toilet ;-)

Did it. Many thanks!

how old is the toilet? does it use a tank ball or a flapper? does it have an older fill device or one of the new 400a's? <what color is the fill valve, which is located on the left side of the tank> you might could save money by fixing it yourself and keeping the regular plumber at home. oh...and mike tries to be noble, but he's actually the one that wants a pic!

The toilet's REAL old. At least 40 years. It did have a ball, but it's innerds were replaced a few years ago, and now it has a flapper.

If I'm looking at the right doo-hicky, it's gray. (Thanks for the translation.)

Last time we had the same problem, I just tried jiggling different things until it stopped running. (The same method usually works with my husband.) It worked then, but it's not now. I think the round thing at the bottom of the tank isn't sealing well (??).

Figured as much ;-)
Thanks guys!
Diana

the flush valve...the thing dead centre of the tank with the hollow tube rising from it to the top of the tank....what color is that? i'm guessing buy a new flapper as long as the flush valve was replaced during the great innerd upheavel you described....go to a plumbing supply house <not home depot, or lowes> ask for a korky flapper. Install it as per the instructions...whichmeans removal of the center ring. send mike the pic so he quits sqwakin'