Problem with tub faucet

I've got a leak in my tub faucet because of the hot water side - the spindle needs to be replaced on the hot water handle. It simply cannot be shut off all the way. A plumber who looked at it said it would involve opening the wall (taking off the tile, etc.) and cutting out the old and welding in a new one. It is totally worn out and out of play, if that's the way to describe it.
We rent. Our landlord has been great regarding maintenance. They've owned this house since the 1960's, so even with the currently deflated real estate market, they stand no chance of coming up short if provoked to sell. We don't want to provoke them, as they've already recently put a lot into this place.
So is there some other thing I can personally do to stop this leak? Should I attempt to shut the outflow valve (if that's possible) from the hot water heater so that the only amount that can leak overnight is whatever was already in the pipeline to the bathroom?
Thanks, Be
Hi Tenant,
Your problem will only get worse, and it needs to be repaired somehow. The extra cost in hot water will add up in a hurry. It sounds like an ordinary repair that any landlord would have to make, and it's not your fault if a tub faucet starts to leak. These faucets wear out over time.
I am surprised that the plumber can't just fix the faucet, rather than replacing it. Tub faucets disassemble from the front, without the need for breaking into the wall. It might need to be replaced, but not usually. Maybe another plumber should be called?
If it does need to be replaced, there are ways of doing it without breaking into the tile. Delta, for example, makes a nice large chrome escutcheon that allows the plumber to knock a hole big enough to remove the old faucet, and install a new, single handle faucet while covering up the hole that was made (I hope that sentence made sense.). Landlords are supposed to fix these things, and they'd probably get more upset if you neglected to tell them.