Prob: removing stem on tub shower

I am trying to replace the washer in a leaking faucet on the tub. I used a cheap deep socket I picked up at the local hware store, but I can't get the stem to budge using a counter clockwise direction that I used on the right hand faucet.
Ques 1: Is the direction correct ??
Ques 2: Is the a better deep socket available than can reach the collar of the stem (at least 3.5 In. deep) ?
Thanx for any advice
Norm,
Make sure the stem is half-way open. I suspect you just need to use a little more muscle. Counterclockwise is correct.