plumbing question

I'm interested in a career in plumbing but unsure how to go about becoming a plumber. If I go to the local tech school and get a plumbing degree am I likely to find work as an apprentice? Ive been told that attending a trade school is my best approach because my background is in computers, not anything construction related. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
<jmb2612

Take a look at the following URL from the US Dept of Labor

snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote:

Reply to
Bennett Price

I made the switch from computers to plumbing and did not attend any trade school. I started as an apprentice and did all sorts of different things. I learned much more much faster than people who went to trade schools. It was the same in computers. People would come out of computer trade schools and they didn't know shiet.

My advice to you is to find some old fart who will take you on. The old guys still know how to take pride and do a good job. They have the wisdom to know great short cuts and they will be able to teach you about everything. There are so many things a school can't teach and so many projects you will only see in the real world. If you can find a med size place or large place that takes on some big $$ jobs that is neat too becfause you get to see some more high tech stuff.

also you are going to need to know something about heating and gas if you want to really be well rounded.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I agree with Ned. You learn more on the job than in school. But it's getting harder to find a old-timers who know the basics of pipe fitting including make up, take outs, and mathematical offsets. Once you learn these methods and get in the habit, your work will go faster and be much better than the guys who are using the eyeball try-piece method. A trade school can teach the theory of pipe fitting math but they won't teach the short-cuts that make the theory practical.

Find somebody good and refuse no wage offer. What you learn in the right outfit is worth paying them to take you on.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Mark Monson"

In most states, I assume, there's an apprentice school requirement to get a journeyman's card. It's there that the pipefitting math will be taught.

Speaking of that, I've never been able to get that "60 degree ell for the rolling offset on a wye" formula to work without having to cut the pipe twice.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

lol no kidding, that is next to impossible. I usually cut it twice myself, eyeball method is best for me here.

My CAD background helps sometimes here because I know how to "think" in 3 deminsions.

Reply to
Ned Flanders