plumbing noise

I have noise in my copper pipes when hot water is run through them. It sounds like an old steam radiator banging but not quite as loud. I know that it is not water hammer. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and better, if anything can be done to stop it? Thanks.

Reply to
James Laws

"James Laws"

As the copper expands, it rubs against a joist or stud or maybe a heating duct. It can be difficult to pin down. You can start to listen around to narrow it down. If it doesn't bother you too much, just live with it.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Reply to
bosumo

Reply to
baron

"bosumo"

Yes. The thing is that I find these sounds to be soothing and part of a house's personality. I wouldn't expect it in a brand new construction, but over time, wood swells and sags. I like the noises my home makes!

However, when you completely drain a hydronic heating system, the new water always has air dissolved in it. Usually the automatic air eliminators do the trick, but sometimes it must be bled from the highest points in each zone. Air doesn't make "clanking." It usually sounds more like water running.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Reply to
bosumo