Pipe cleanout

I've got a 4 inch pipe in my crawl space that has either clogged up or has collapsed. It runs to a storm sewer about 10 feet away. I think there is a bend in the pipe, downward, because I stuck a piece of pvc pipe into it and it stopped about 6 feet in. Would a standard pipe snake possibly work in cleaning this pipe out if it is clogged or is there something I need to go rent to do the job? TIA

Reply to
Todd

"Todd"

If you mean by "standard" the hand powered drum, then no. A 4" pipe requires a big sewer cable and some electricity.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

a sewer pipe should not go to a storm drain so i assume it is not a sewer pipe.if you stuck a piece of pipe into it i also assume the pipe is cut .replace the 10ft section with plastic and be done with it.

Reply to
jim donovan

It's not a sewer pipe. It's just a pipe that drains my crawl space.

When we get a hard rain the water table rises and gets above my crawl space floor. I was worried about it getting up into my furnace so I have put in a sump pump that outtets above ground and runs into a nearby storm sewer inlet.

I know the pipe is partially open because after a moderate rain it will handle a small amount of flow, I can see a stream of water running into it.

The 1/2 inch pvc pipe I stuck into it was only to see how far it would go and if I could push something blocking it out. That's when I determined there was a bend in the pipe (or I hit the point where the pipe has collapsed). It's a clay pipe.

It looks like I'll have to go the the rental store and rent something big enough that could clean it out if that's what the problem is. I'd like to try all I can before I call for help.

Thanks

Reply to
Todd

"Todd"

If the pipe has collapsed, the sewer machine will do you no good. Maybe it'd be easier, since this is just a sump pump discharge, to run a new 2" PVC drain into the storm sewer. In this way, you'd bypass the old clay pipe.

Reply to
Mike Grooms