Opinions on change orders needed

I am an MBA candidate at Kellogg School of Management working on a project involving software solutions for the subcontractor/change order problem. I'd love to hear stories from subcontractors who have dealt with this effectively as well as any horror stories. What kinds of solutions are currently on the market? What are the issues with using technology to manage the process?

Thanks, Jill

Reply to
Jill

There are certain benefits of the technology available. But I can't see much use in adding additional technologies without a compelling reason to do so.

QuickBooks is one such example where technology makes a huge difference in the way things are done.

Another "top technology" are hand-held GPS devices. We regularly use them to mark cleanouts and other plumbing. It allows us to be pinpoint accurate later when somebody needs to know what we have under a slab, where to find something, etc.

The one BIG technology we don't have in my area is direct access to the computers at our local courthouses. If I could log in and check out nearby cities and counties, I could blacklist the contractors that have been sued for non-payment and avoid those bastard altogether. Now that would be helpful. It would also be helpful to do an adddress lookup to make sure when we go on a call that we are being hired by someone who has the authority to request our services. It kinda pisses us off when some guy gives you the go-ahead and then you discover (after the work is done) that you have to collect from the owner (not the tenant).

And here's one you can invent right now!! A better way to estimate jobs. Estimating can be a sonofabitch. It's probably the part of this type of work that is the biggest pain in the ass.

Reply to
Blackbeard