noisy whistling radiator

I just foud If I turn off the hot water, the radiator stops making a niose. [Turning the hot water back on] Is there a way to disconnect my radiator in exactly that way. Is there a term for it so I can tell the plumber. It'd be more preferable than removing the radiator.

Reply to
jameshanley39

Why are you heating in the summer?

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

There is a control thing downstairs with 2 settings. Hot Water and Central Heating. Since it's summer, the central heating can be turned off.

But We need hot water for washing up. and when hot water is turned on, the radiator noise starts.

Reply to
jameshanley39

So, when you turn on the hot water tap in your kitchen, the radiator makes noise?

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

no. When I go to the control thing and set "Hot Water" to On. So water starts getting heated up. Then there is radiator noise.

if Hot Water Is Off, then when ppl turn on the hot water tap, the water's cold.

Reply to
jameshanley39

He has a combi system that heats hot water full time for heat and drinking and probably bypasses the heaters when not used. Could be many styles of boilers and piping layout.

Well, you've had plenty of time, haven't you called the plumber in yet or do you just want to talk it up.

The sound is just water rushing (a whooshing not a hissing) through a pipe or valve or is boiler noise (tick tick, bang bang) transmitted through the pipe. Either way, you're stuck with it unless you want to replace a substantial portion of the system and piping or not use hot water. If you're lucky there is a rusty valve not closing all the way but how the hell would we know that. Call the plumber for gods sake and quit stalling. Foam pipe insulation might help.

After all this I hope you tell us what the plumber said (better yet, get him to join this newsgroup, I'd like to hear the other side)

Reply to
PipeDown

I appreciate all the help. At the moment the plumber is on holiday. I'll post what he says here.

Reply to
jameshanley39

I just spoke to him. I asked him about what can be done. He said that he can remove the radiator and cap off the pipes. I asked if it's possible that the pump can be changed to a smaller one, he said that the pump is sufficient (duh!) and if it were reduced then you wouldn't get central heating to the rest of house.

I imagine that there is a way of testing the pressure to prove that the pump is too big. But, I don't have the knowledge to do so, and I thought it'd be a bit rude for me to tell him how to do his job regaerding measuring pressure!

Reply to
jameshanley39