noisy whistling radiator

Page 2 of 3

PipeDown wrote:

it's a noisy hunk of metal. I have localised the noise. It's coming from within the radiator.
All radiators make noise. but my concern is the one in my room. Actually, there is a large radiator downstairs that perhaps doesn't make noise. And a small one in the bathroom that rusn piping hot and makes a hell of a noise - though not a whistling.
So maybe this confirms what that helpful poster was saying that it's pressure and if a smaller pump were fitted it'd cure the problem.
Still, i'll have my radiator removed. (the noise that bothers me is localised to my radiator) Then if there's still noise, i'll look into telling a plumber to fit a smaller pump.
how many hours would it take to fit a smaller pump (i'm just trying to figure out costs, so i don't get ripped off) There is a gerat shortage of decent plumbers. I wouldn't even trust that the plumber woul get the right size if I just said "smaller".
I'm starting to feel a pointy hook lodged by a troll who heats his house in August ??? Who hears noises from a radiator with no pipes connected to it??? Am I paranoid or is he really just full of steam???

PipeDown wrote:

Same thing crossed my mind then I figured the guy may be in Australia.
MM

See Ghost Hunters ?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

You're going about it the wrong way like the fellow who doesn't know how cars work but starts replacing parts at random hoping to get his car fixed.
The first thing to do is find a competent wet heat plumber or technician (specializing in hydronics) and let him troubleshoot the problem on site. From a newsgroup, even the best plumber can only throw you a few guesses.
MM
If I got it fixed by removing the radiator, then you'd probably still say I was wrong.
Thanks for the tip about the hydronics guy, I will probably call one. If after removing the radiator there is still noise. Or if after removing the radiator I decide I want a radiator (without noise)
So you're just going to yank the radiator and cap it off?
BAD IDEA
You'd be safer hiring the biggest $250/hour ripoff guy in town. If you don't know what the fuck you're doing, you could be turning that system into a small bomb.
But go for it.
On 20 Aug 2005 15:47:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

why do you think he was here for our advice. Isn't it clear he is just a self satisfying pompous idiot.

How dare we!! We are only professionals who do this for a living.
Shan are you a proud Liberal?

Yes, how dare you tell me that a cheap option that you can do, that would meet my requirements, is WRONG!
I'm not telling you how to do the plumbing. A plumber may present me with my options, and I would select one, based on price and likelyhood of it removing the noise.
I'll leave the actual plumbing to the plumber.
I do appreciate the good posters in the newsgroup that have suggested alternative options, and , if I find that there is no noise after removing the radiator, I will consider having it put back and persue those alternatives mentioned, by hiring a person skilled in hydronics, to do the job.
thank you
This guy has been playing with you guys like a fish on a line. Don't think "Liberal" or :Conservative", he is a troll.
My wife bitchs about piddles on the floor. I want to put the toilet on the ceiling. Any ideas on how to keep the water from splish splashing ?
I figure I'll have more walking room this way !!

They have one of those on the space shuttle. See the NASA web site.
Liberal = A guy who uses way too much toilet paper
Conservative = A guy who flushes once a week

Blackbeard wrote:

you are reading things in that are not there.
I didn't say that I would take the radiator off. I would indeed call a plumber to take it off.

HUH??
here is a clue..........................long wayy.......................................................here is this guy.

Ned Flanders wrote:

yes, i'm in the uk you're in the US. You really illustrated that beautifully.
When I said "you" I meant "you plumbers" - generally - collectively. A plumber in the uk, for example, i'm sure most of them are like you.
hey james, suck my asshole. clear enough?

So if you're going to call a plumber anyways, what exactly do you want with us?
If you had a problem that we could help your with, we're happy to do that. But you're asking for advice on something that is incredibly dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
Just call a plumber or call an HVAC man who specializes in hydronics (actually the HVAC tech is probably your better choice). You're asking a bunch of plumbers and most plumbers don't fuck with that kinda stuff.
And those who do will quickly tell you to call a professional cause you're going to kill yourself or your family.
Without seeing the job up-close and personal, my first recommendation would be to drain down and flush out the entire system. But even something as simple as a drain/flush has to be done carefully and methodically. It will look like your plumber is taking a lot of time to do something very simple. Conversely, if your guy hops in there and opens a valve and stands outside and smokes while it drains...you hired the wrong guy. We don't want it drained an refilled. We want the system FLUSHED OUT to remove the deposits where minerals have separated and settled.
On 21 Aug 2005 11:48:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

do you know where I can find an HVAC engineer in the uk? maybe they go by other names besides HVAC enginners.
UK yellow pages (yell.com) doesn't turn up much. THe first result was most relevant, but only industrial.
Plumbers cost a lot in the uk. So, HVAC engineers probably charge so much that individuals can't afford them!
guess what dick weed you have already blow your chance of free help from an engineer. You assume we could not possibly understand, but you are the idiot; most of the people here are prob smarter than you and look at your problem as "simple".

Yep ! That's right.. I found that why should *I* rob people with a gun ?
In the UK you have very strict gun laws, thanks to UK Plummers we developed a way to rob you blind using only a pipe wrench.
I have a nice 6" pipe wrench, it doesn't require a carry permit.